Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If your standard raise is 2BB its correct to stel ...than in limit
more 5 25.00%
less 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: fans of The Wire: which character is your favorite?

I think season 2 just gets dumped on because the greeks and polocks aren't as sexy as Avon's crew. Too bad, because I don't know if anybody on the show had a better preformance than Frank Sobotka (aka Tilt's Lee Nickle).

I always found 3 kinda lacking, just because the Hamsterdam concept seemed a bit stretched.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only cool factor is that his manservant is the real DeAndre from The Corner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed at how much of this type of stuff they manage to sneak in. Snoop is supposedly playing more or less herself - her character has the same name. The white mustachioed lieutenant in the Western is the actual Jay Landsman. And so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

Other good ones.

The Deacon is actually a former crime lord that Ed Burns busted.

The white bald homicide cop is a disgraced former baltimore cop/politician

Kurt Schmoke (ex b'more mayor) as a social worker in S3

[/ QUOTE ]

The bald cop you are referring to is Ed Norris (also his character name on the show). Prior to becoming Baltimore's police COMMISIONER, he held the same post in NYC. He was a favorite of then governor Bob Ehrlich (who also had a cameo thios past season as a security guard in Annapolis). Norris was sent to prison on charges of embezzlement I believe though many current police question the validity of his crimes. He is currently a radio host on a popular Baltimore talk radio program.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:54 PM

Omar then Bunk and ITS NOT CLOSE.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only cool factor is that his manservant is the real DeAndre from The Corner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed at how much of this type of stuff they manage to sneak in. Snoop is supposedly playing more or less herself - her character has the same name. The white mustachioed lieutenant in the Western is the actual Jay Landsman. And so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

Other good ones.

The Deacon is actually a former crime lord that Ed Burns busted.

The white bald homicide cop is a disgraced former baltimore cop/politician

Kurt Schmoke (ex b'more mayor) as a social worker in S3

[/ QUOTE ]

The bald cop you are referring to is Ed Norris (also his character name on the show). Prior to becoming Baltimore's police COMMISIONER, he held the same post in NYC. He was a favorite of then governor Bob Ehrlich (who also had a cameo thios past season as a security guard in Annapolis). Norris was sent to prison on charges of embezzlement I believe though many current police question the validity of his crimes. He is currently a radio host on a popular Baltimore talk radio program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lieutenant Gary D'Addario rose to the rank of Major commanding the Northeastern District of the Baltimore Police Department. The 37yr veteran of the department was forced to retire by new Commissioner Kevin Clark in 2003 as part of Clark's unpopular turnover of veteran command staff. Source: Baltimore Sun, July 16, 2003. Dee had guest appearances as QRT Lieutenant Jasper in Homicide: Life on the Street, as a Desk Sergeant in HBO mini-series The Corner, and as a Grand Jury States Attorney on the HBO drama The Wire.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:00 PM

Default and the best one, of course

Cole was a somewhat inept member of Sergeant Landsman's homicide squad under the command of Major Rawls.

Cole was the lead investigator of the death of Anton "Stinkum" Artis. His colleague Bunk Moreland told him that there was information about the case as part of a wiretap investigation that Bunk's partner Jimmy McNulty was involved in. The information would jeopardize the wiretap so they promised they would give it to Cole when the case closed. McNulty never intended to give Cole the information because the perpetrator was his informant Omar Little.

Cole was second detective on the shooting of Wendell "Orlando" Blocker and Detective Kima Greggs working with lead investigator Detective Ed Norris. This case was solved when Wee-Bey Brice confessed to the shooting.

Cole was initially assigned the fourteen Jane Doe homicides that Rawls had tried to dodge. McNulty was responsible for the cases reaching Rawls desk and when discussing Cole's misfortune with Bunk he called him collateral damage. Landsman reassigned the case to Bunk and Lester Freamon because he felt he needed his most capable detectives on it.

Cole died unexpectedly and the department held a wake for him. Landsman gave a eulogy for Cole at the wake.

Cole was played by the show's late executive producer, Robert F. Colesberry, who died unexpectedly of complications from heart surgery. The character's wake was in part a tribute to Colesberry.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think season 2 just gets dumped on because the greeks and polocks aren't as sexy as Avon's crew. Too bad, because I don't know if anybody on the show had a better preformance than Frank Sobotka (aka Tilt's Lee Nickle).

I always found 3 kinda lacking, just because the Hamsterdam concept seemed a bit stretched.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that this experiment actually happened somewhere. I forget where I read it.

As for me, Bodie, Avon, Stringer and WEEBAY.

The scene where weebay confesses to all the murders in season one was priceless. says if he gets another hamburger he'll confess to more. then you see in s4 how he puts his girl in her place and helps keep naymond out of the game.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never understood the hate for Season 2. It's a bit slower than the other seasons, but once it gets going, it's fantastic. The last 5 minutes of "Bad Dreams" is some of the best TV I've ever seen, and maybe my favorite Wire moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like S2 also - I think part of the hate has got to be Ziggy-related (who I didn't mind and he redeemed himself in "Bad Dreams", an awesome episode I agree).

-Al
Old 08-02-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i really like season 2. a lot of people dump on it because it moves at a slower pace and it has less of a "cool" factor. the last few episodes of season two are just amazing. D'angelo and Bodie are two of my favorite characters for sure.

I love Omar, but he is the most idealic and stylized of the main characters. He is the only one that isn't tied into a "game".

D'Angelo and Bodie both try to play the game differently, but they are still playing the game like all the other characters. I get a lot more from Bodie and D'Angelo because they are more real than Omar. Sure Omar is a cool mother [censored] but in the end, he is less of a person and more of a force.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:10 PM

Sorry if already mentioned but I love Clay Davis

"Shhhhhiiiiiiiiit"
Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM

if i have to choose from the list then it's bunk, but he's like my 20th favorite overall.

bodie is one of my favorites, but i kinda hated him in season one. it wasn't until season two that i came to appreciate him. d'angelo is very close behind bodie, and i like wallace almost as much. i also like frank sobotka, who was easily the most fully realized character on the show ever and prop joe, easily the most fun character on the show. i also prefer major daniels, detective sydnor (who is criminally underused), avon, weebay and poot. slim charles and his counterpart chris partlow were also awesome. and donnette and brianna and shardene (west side girls for life) of course.

my favorite though, is norman wilson. carcetti's campaign manager.