Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Is optimism insane?

[ QUOTE ]
No one's buying Party. They have nothing of value, except a cash flow, and now that's gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

This couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was told this by a friend, and I assumed it was true, but I haven't been able to verify it, sorry about that.

I know harrah's HAS developed online poker software, and they wouldn't be doing that if they thought the US was going to keep its current stance.

Large corporations like Harrah's are well aware of most of the true nature of our public policy. If they have software, it'll be legal sooner rather than later.

I was told the software is already being used in-house, on an intranet, don't know if this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this could well be true, as for whether this was the implicit aim of the politicians I'm not so sure. While I have no doubt that they were aware of the consequences in this regard, I believe that it was merely one of a number of motivations.

However, one of the benefits of my current view is that it implies that all the big US gaming giants (who could easily be criticised for standing aside and rubbing their hands with delight as potential competitors were forced out) may well have made a huge error of judgement. If they end up restricting their own ability to enter the market they are in a worse position if my prediction about a novel solution comes true. They would have been much better off aggressively pushing and lobbying for the legalisation of online gambling, and then purchasing an established company.

Please correct me if I am wrong on the attitude of the gaming corps while the UIGEA was being passed..
Old 04-02-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know harrah's HAS developed online poker software, and they wouldn't be doing that if they thought the US was going to keep its current stance.

Large corporations like Harrah's are well aware of most of the true nature of our public policy. If they have software, it'll be legal sooner rather than later.

I was told the software is already being used in-house, on an intranet, don't know if this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there room in your thinking, to give thought to the possibility that Harrah's may enter the non-US online gaming market? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 06:23 PM

this doesn't strike me as a market worth entering. I'm not sure online poker can survive the long run without US fish. The games seem to get tougher everyday.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Even the politicains didn't want this as a long term law, they just wanted to stifle the market so they could move it all to the US."

I agree with this, I always felt a hostile takeover was in the works.

I'm sorry, Harrah's bought Party? Is that TRUE???!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told this by a friend, and I assumed it was true, but I haven't been able to verify it, sorry about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told by a friend that that Superman and Batman exists and I believed it so much that I posted it on Wikipedia and got millions of my friends to do the same. Therefore, it is now true.

Don't believe everything that you hear. Unless it's confirmed, it's best to forgo rumors and speculation.

Of course, it could be that we are a day late with the annual April fool's joke, then it's not really that funny.

Seriously, even though I hold out hope that there will be a possibility of the issues facing online poker to correct themselves so that it's easier to fund accounts (mainly easier than it is to do already, see the Internet Gambling Forum for details), I'll reserve my cautious optimism for another day.

I fully subscribe to believing nothing of what I hear and verifying everything that I read.

It works for me.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 PM

You can't stop progress. The Internet has transformed our lives, including the way we play poker.

If the American authorities are throwing arcane laws from 1961 at successful web businesses, then they're seriously stupid. This will hurt ALL enterpeneurs... but maybe that's their aim.

We've hit a rocky patch, but online poker will continue with us or without us - you can't turn back the clock. America can choose to join the world or they can sulk like it's still 1999.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah because confirming that kind of information is so difficult. :-)

Go to Harrah's website and look under Investor Relations:

http://investor.harrahs.com/phoenix....;p=irol-irhome

Or go to Party and look under investor relations:

http://www.partygaming.com/investor/
Old 04-03-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't stop progress. The Internet has transformed our lives, including the way we play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The internet has not transformed my life in any way. In fact, I never even use the internet.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one's buying Party. They have nothing of value, except a cash flow, and now that's gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a CPA?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 AM

What part of the Balance sheet do you like Bill? And the P/E, how about that? And the value of the intangible assets? And their Cash position? No more dividends? Obsolete software?