Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: What actual regulation do you want to see for online poker?

In 4 years of play, I've never had a dispute with a poker room. Maybe that's why it's been 4 years of play.

If it ain't broke...

Ironically, the only mass fraud perpetrated on poker players has been done by the American government via the Neteller debacle. And you want these people regulating your poker?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 4 years of play, I've never had a dispute with a poker room. Maybe that's why it's been 4 years of play.

If it ain't broke...

Ironically, the only mass fraud perpetrated on poker players has been done by the American government via the Neteller debacle. And you want these people regulating your poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been numerous horror stories with frozen accounts, accusations of rigged RNGs, continual delayed cashouts from all the major sites. Neteller robbed people blindly and then used delay tactics to freeze people's funds. It is seriously broke and needs some serious fixin. The British regulation which will start Sept 01, 2007 is a great start. Not sure if you reside in the US but maybe you could lube up and take a visit to Costa Rica or Mexico and see how the government compares there. US government has some serious issues but it is one of the best systems there is and there is a reason people seek refuge here. I would much rather have the US govt regulating the rooms over Costa Rica, Antigua, etc.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM

To answer the OP question: NONE (let the free market work)

To realistically indicate what I'd settle for:

1) reliable age verification
2) mechanism for resolving disputes 'tween sites and players
3) mechanism for reporting possible money laundering
4) require record keeping that makes tax prep easy, and
5) standards for RNGs and game integrity.

Skallagrim
Old 03-29-2007, 04:58 PM

My only problem with federal regulation is that when has any federal regulation actually stopped fraud? Also, regulation usually means high taxes like in the UK.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to see...

1: Certain types of software banned

2: Set limits on mutlitabling

3: Give online poker rooms legal recourse to purse credit card fraud and players with multi accounts on the same site.

4: Ensure companies are keeping players money accounts seperate from their expensives

[/ QUOTE ]

What types of software do you want banned and why do you want to limit multitabling? This really isn't the government's bussiness, as previously stated.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:49 PM

I know this would be more of a feature than a regulation, but I would like there to be a little box you can choose to check or not check in the option menu that has the site automatically keep a running total of your taxes separate and then release it to you/send it to the IRS for you at the end of the year. I know it wouldn't be that simple, but something along those lines would be sweet.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 AM

In the UK deposit limits are not set by the government - they have said that sites should make people choose their own deposit limits so Bill Gates would be fine setting it at $1bn. The idea is to help stoppeople chasing losses.

The rules also say time gambling needs to be shown and total losses/wins to prevent denia and reduce people betting longer than they intended.

Asfor tax - 15% of company profits and no tax on winnings is not what I'd call high tax.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it ain't broke...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the internet forum, you see threads where people whine over various perceived slights. So there are people who have had disputes with a poker room. At the very least, there ought to be some clarity over jurisdiction so that you know where to go in case you need a legal remedy for a dispute. What are a poker room's responsibilities toward it customers?

You probably need to check the dictionary for the definition of fraud. It may not be a good thing, but it wasn't a fraud.

I would prefer a well-regulated environment to the status quo. I also prefer riding in a licensed taxi to an unlicensed one.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To answer the OP question: NONE (let the free market work)

To realistically indicate what I'd settle for:

1) reliable age verification
2) mechanism for resolving disputes 'tween sites and players
3) mechanism for reporting possible money laundering
4) require record keeping that makes tax prep easy, and
5) standards for RNGs and game integrity.

Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this. I would also throw in that the sites must keep the player's money separate ala stars. I think a flat tax of some kind could work, probably similar to an income tax, not too sure. I feel this is a concession we would have to make. As someone else said, definitely give the sites the ability to go after fraud. No limits on deposits if you fill out certain forms that are a huge pain in the butt to protect the average guy that shouldnt drop 10k over the weekend. I guess i am thinking about things that would help our cause.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for tax - 15% of company profits and no tax on winnings is not what I'd call high tax.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only dream of this happening in the US....wow wouldnt that be awesome.