Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: College App Question: SAT scores vs. GPA

[ QUOTE ]
its a private highschool so it cant be ranked there

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I just remembered you said that and edited before i read your post. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 PM

ganja, i pm'ed you the only review i could find, still looking for some sort of ranking
Old 11-24-2007, 10:06 PM

what your college counselors will do (or atleast what mine did) will send a break down of what your school is all about. In a school like mine you didn't want to be ranked. Only 30 kids total and almost all were top notch ivy league material. I however was a lazy jock that was just gifted so I was def. on the lower end. But they send a paper out saying due to our competitive nature we don't rank etc etc but they say based on our unweighted scale of 4.0 85% of students had higher than 3.0, 50% had higher than x, 10% than y, and top 5% (TWO STUDENTS in my case) has this...Most of my friends from prep schools were in a similar situation. My advice to you would be to get superb letters of recommendation from your college counselor, dean of upper school, and some of your math/science teachers. (maybe even one from your classes at STandford). Also obv. a good essay, although for an EE program I don't know what is taken into consideration. Goodluck and if you need any help let me know
Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To give you an idea of what the standards are... at UIUC, the average GPA is 3.8 and the average SAT is 2300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about the GPA, but NO school had an average SAT that high. Harvard is approx. 2240, Yale is about 2230, and UIUC is around 1980-2000 (taken from the SAT website).
Old 11-24-2007, 10:20 PM

it's possible he means only for the EE program, OR what they use to "auto-admit" people. Like without going into the entire file if they meet those 2 requirement they're in. IDK though
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 PM

the teacher writing my recs are both good for the job imo, one is my physics teacher from last year who graduated dartmouth and the other is my current english teacher who graduated USC, not sure where he got his master's though. my college councelor seems to like me a lot so that will help. to my knowledge, and i know most of the smart people in my grade, there isn't a single person with a 4.0 unweighted, a few 3.9s but im pretty sure there is no one without at least one A-/B+/B in there somehwere, and from what i have ascertained my SAT score is at least top 5 of my 76 person class. i only know for a fact one person did better than me, that is one of my friends who got a 2400 but there are a few people i dont talk to much who could have done better
Old 11-24-2007, 11:43 PM

well you seem to be in good shape.. good luck with all your schools, and report back when you get your answers...
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well you seem to be in good shape.. good luck with all your schools, and report back when you get your answers...

[/ QUOTE ]
ill be sure to, that is still quite a while off though thanks for all the help from everyone
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ganja, i pm'ed you the only review i could find, still looking for some sort of ranking

[/ QUOTE ]
I got your PM and i actually recognize your school. It is in fact a good school and that may give you a head up on other students. Be sure to mention this in your application, and highlight all your advanced courses that most high school students wouldn't take. Also, if you've taken courses that count for college credit, note the GPA for those separately.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To give you an idea of what the standards are... at UIUC, the average GPA is 3.8 and the average SAT is 2300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about the GPA, but NO school had an average SAT that high. Harvard is approx. 2240, Yale is about 2230, and UIUC is around 1980-2000 (taken from the SAT website).

[/ QUOTE ]
I was referring to the engineering students, as we are talking about a high school candidate who wants to enter a EE program. This was information given me by a colleague at UIUC who does regression analyses on college success as a function of SAT scores, so i assumed she knew what she was talking about.

Edit: It appears that there are multiple conversion charts from old SAT to new SAT. One chart would put the average at around 2220-2270, instead of 2300. Sorry if i was off in my original post.