Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Express lane Discrimination?

[ QUOTE ]
Wow mbillie you are a horrible [censored] poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

this one is too obvious even for you
Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM

NT I hope that degree in excuses is paying off. Yeah I feel bad for the rare kid that never got a chance. But if you are educated and motivated in America you can succeed. END OF STORY!!!
With a good GPA and SAT score you can goto state school for free. Work to pay student loans until you have a real job. NOTE: Do not have kids before you have a way to pay for them. (no excuse condoms are free), Also make sure to avoid crack and heroin.

If you are dumb or lazy you will not succeed. My parents came to this country without being able to speak English, with no money and without citizenship. Now they are worth upwards of 1mil. Cry me a river if your dad drinks and mom is a crack head, if your life is that bad then take steps to change it. Yes its very hard to escape poverty but its not impossible and more often than not people like NT are just giving the unfortunate a reason to fail.
Tuq is correct in that in general – poor are poor for a reason!!!

Moral of my post

NT is a communist!!!! I’m a proud republican (on domestic affairs). Government Help programs are whack!!!!! [a lot of money is wasted in the government bureaucracy (NT’s salary) – deadweight loss , were a free economy balances market pulls more efficiently]
Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 AM

hey jackass,

i have never worked for the government in my life.

anyone else want the banhammer?

feel free to disagree with me but if you are as big of a retard as this guy, don't bother.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT I hope that degree in excuses is paying off. Yeah I feel bad for the rare kid that never got a chance. But if you are educated and motivated in America you can succeed. END OF STORY!!!
With a good GPA and SAT score you can goto state school for free. Work to pay student loans until you have a real job. NOTE: Do not have kids before you have a way to pay for them. (no excuse condoms are free), Also make sure to avoid crack and heroin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, it's just that easy huh?
The ignorance is astounding.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cry me a river if your dad drinks and mom is a crack head, if your life is that bad then take steps to change it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great. How many kids have you met whose moms are crackheads and dads are drunk? I have met a lot of them. What exactly would you like for a seven year old kid to do when he is being raped repeatedly by his mother's boyfriend, after being born with severe cognitive delays due to her drug use while he was in the womb? Educate himself and get a leg up in the world? Pull himself up by his bootstraps.

Guess what I did today? I went around collecting case files on about 30 of the most mentally ill kids I have ever seen in my life. These are the kids who you are telling to get over it and stop making excuses. 24 of 30 were in foster care by the age of 4 because their parents either abandoned them, showed up in the emergency room high on crack to give birth to them, or beat them with belts and electrical cords for years on end. 29 of the 30 kids have multiple mental health diagnoses related to being sexually abused, malnourished, neglected or born + for cocaine. Several are already sex offenders before the age of 14, after being raped themselves before they were old enough to spell the word.

And these are just a few of the kids who made it into care. There are literally thousands more kids in every borough in NYC right now having the same experience, and many of them will not receive any help from anyone. These are tomorrow's criminals, chronic homeless and drug dealers. They have literally no chance to do the things you talked about, because even if they were miraculously able to overcome years of neglect resulting in major developmental delays, the schools in their neighborhoods are poorly funded, poorly run and overcrowded with other kids like them. So good luck with the whole 'if you are educated' part of your post.

People who think that inner city poverty and cycles of crime and violence can be attributed to the unwillingness of people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps are laughably ignorant.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cry me a river if your dad drinks and mom is a crack head, if your life is that bad then take steps to change it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great. How many kids have you met whose moms are crackheads and dads are drunk? I have met a lot of them. What exactly would you like for a seven year old kid to do when he is being raped repeatedly by his mother's boyfriend, after being born with severe cognitive delays due to her drug use while he was in the womb? Educate himself and get a leg up in the world? Pull himself up by his bootstraps.

Guess what I did today? I went around collecting case files on about 30 of the most mentally ill kids I have ever seen in my life. These are the kids who you are telling to get over it and stop making excuses. 24 of 30 were in foster care by the age of 4 because their parents either abandoned them, showed up in the emergency room high on crack to give birth to them, or beat them with belts and electrical cords for years on end. 29 of the 30 kids have multiple mental health diagnoses related to being sexually abused, malnourished, neglected or born + for cocaine. Several are already sex offenders before the age of 14, after being raped themselves before they were old enough to spell the word.

And these are just a few of the kids who made it into care. There are literally thousands more kids in every borough in NYC right now having the same experience, and many of them will not receive any help from anyone. These are tomorrow's criminals, chronic homeless and drug dealers. They have literally no chance to do the things you talked about, because even if they were miraculously able to overcome years of neglect resulting in major developmental delays, the schools in their neighborhoods are poorly funded, poorly run and overcrowded with other kids like them. So good luck with the whole 'if you are educated' part of your post.

People who think that inner city poverty and cycles of crime and violence can be attributed to the unwillingness of people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps are laughably ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to be making a fairly strong argument for eugenics.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 AM

NT
Honestly curious- what percentage of poor unsuccessful people (sorry best phrase I could come up with) are that way because they are lazy pieces of [censored] and what percentage would you say could work hard forever but due to horrible circumstances would never be able to be successful on there own?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NT
Honestly curious- what percentage of poor unsuccessful people (sorry best phrase I could come up with) are that way because they are lazy pieces of [censored] and what percentage would you say could work hard forever but due to horrible circumstances would never be able to be successful on there own?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't really think there is any way for me to accurately answer this question, or anyone else really. there are people that are at both extremes of the spectrum - people who are just lazy and dumb and have wasted many opportunities that were laid right at their feet, had a stable family but [censored] it up, etc. there are also a lot of people like the kids i was talking about earlier, who really never had a [censored] chance in hell.

both of these cases are much more rare than people who are a mix of the two. they have some personal deficits and some systemic bad luck / disadvantages, and the combination of the two causes them to fail in certain areas of life. these are the people who you have a chance to help.

in general i would say that most people - even bleeding hearts who blame big business for everything wrong in the world - underestimate the various systemic pressures on the urban poor. at the same time, a lot of those bleeding hearts also minimize the personal deficits that people have to overcome.

a lot of people don't know how bad it is in certain places. how really, legitimately awful it is to live there, and yet some people are proud to have grown up there. this brings to light something else that a lot of people don't realize - in spite of how bad some neighborhoods are, the majority of people are getting by, and busting their asses to do it. even in some of the worst neighborhoods on the census map, the majority of income in that place is coming in through legitimate work, not welfare.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you seem to be making a fairly strong argument for eugenics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm for it. I think a whole hell of a lot of the world's problems could have serious dents made in them by redefining human reproduction as a privilege to be earned, rather than a right. Sterilize everybody at birth and make them do X to get it reversed. We all win.

Of course, this implies that there will ever be anyone in power whose judgment we can trust, which is as laughable as anything.

NT! - you're a better man than I'll ever be. It is a privilege to have my threads locked in your forum, sir.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 PM

NT-

Do you have any useful stats on welfare?

I'm not a big supporter, but I also admittedly have never done any extensive research on it. I have a feeling that it actually is effective in constrained doses and in certain situations.

Some numbers that I'd like to know: (I could google but thought you might have some good references):

- What % of people on welfare eventually get off it?
- What % of people do you estimate intentionally don't get a job because they have welfare?
- Other general thoughts on its usefulness?

Thanks