Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Quick gas station rant

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

No one really checks the signature to match the one on your card. It's a false sense of security.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Josey Wales,

See, your explanation was the reason I thought they asked to see your license, so that they could match signatures. This still doesn't make any sense to me at all because the electric signing pad box at the DMV is tiny and awkward, half my hand is off the box where I can't rest to write and I end up writing in an unnatural position and the resulting signature is nothing like what I write like. When I sign a credit card I sign normally, obviously. So the two signatures aren't even close.

So two things happen when I purchase an item. 1) They improperly don't ask for ID after seeing my signature 2) They look at my license and either don't notice that the signatures are nowhere close to each other (though I signed them both) or they really don't give a [censored].

I am thinking it doesn't matter, most of these clerks are waiting for their 15 minute break so they can smoke some herb just to get through their miserable day at Best Buy.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ARCO gas is not good for your car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt this. Any tank truck driver will tell you it all comes out of the same tank. Gasoline is about the most commoditized product around. In all but the biggest cities, there are no more than three or four refineries or pipeline terminals that supply all of the gasoline in the town.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my understanding (also seems like common sense to me)... I am an ARCO devotee (because it's the cheapest gas in my hood) so if anyone has any reason why ARCO is bad love to hear it.

ID w/Credit Card purchase - feel like this has become the standard - outside of restaurants, happens all the time (maybe it's just in LA). I am a minority (but I'm Asian and clean-cut looking).

-Al
Old 02-02-2007, 04:19 PM

My understanding is that the problem with some of the second/third tier gasoline stations is that they do not have as rigorous a corporate inspection policy regarding the holding tanks. If some ancient mom & pop gas station has water seeping into the holding tank into their gas, that is not good for your engine.

However, most of the large chains don't have this kind of problem, which I believe includes ARCO.