Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Quick gas station rant

"Are you a minority? I've never been asked for ID when using my credit card in my life. Is that standard for most people?"

I know this wasn't intended for me but this reminds me of how random "asking for ID" is. About a month ago I made a purchase for about $400 and wasn't asked for identification when paying with my credit card. A few days later at the same place I spent $10 and was asked to show identification when paying with my credit card. This seemed backwards to me but whatever.

I never understood this either because most of the time a merchant has asked for ID they half-assedly look at my license and shove my card through the machine (or let me run it, whatever the device)...point being it could be a picture of a woman and it wouldn't really matter is the impression I am getting, these are people that don't want to be there anyway.

Oh, and I am not a minority.

And I have also never encountered a gas station that only took debit/ATM, this is crazy talk!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:57 AM

I've never been to a gas station that didn't accept credit at the pump either, but most do require that you enter your billing zip code around my area. Is that standard everywhere? Seems like it would at least prevent fraudulent charges from retarded criminals.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:06 AM

- Cashiers are supposed to ask you for ID if you haven't signed the back of the credit card. However very, very few cashiers ever check for this.

-Minimum purchases to use your credit card are technically illegal.

-If I had to guess, they switched to credit card inside to force you to use your debit card. That way they can charge an "atm fee" that will cover the percentage of the transaction that the credit card companies take out for processing, and most people will be too lazy to walk inside to use their credit card.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- Cashiers are supposed to ask you for ID if you haven't signed the back of the credit card. However very, very few cashiers ever check for this.

-Minimum purchases to use your credit card are technically illegal.

-If I had to guess, they switched to credit card inside to force you to use your debit card. That way they can charge an "atm fee" that will cover the percentage of the transaction that the credit card companies take out for processing, and most people will be too lazy to walk inside to use their credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that is def. the reason they are doing it and its gay as hell!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:12 AM

"- Cashiers are supposed to ask you for ID if you haven't signed the back of the credit card. However very, very few cashiers ever check for this."

What if you did sign the back of your credit card? What if they never look at the back and just ask for ID, what does this mean? I am asking you b/c you seem to know this stuff.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:18 AM

I usually just use my debit card and not care about the extra fee. Not worth stressing over, since gas is already so pricey. Plus, not having to pump your own gas ONLY sucks when you have to wait. Otherwise, its quite nice. Never thought I would get use to it.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"- Cashiers are supposed to ask you for ID if you haven't signed the back of the credit card. However very, very few cashiers ever check for this."

What if you did sign the back of your credit card? What if they never look at the back and just ask for ID, what does this mean? I am asking you b/c you seem to know this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

On every card I have, I have my sig and a note asking for ID. Actually pisses me off when people don't ask. Mindless drones.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, the only times I've been asked to show ID are after they've checked the back of the card!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On every card I have, I have my sig and a note asking for ID. Actually pisses me off when people don't ask. Mindless drones.

[/ QUOTE ]

TSC,

I cashiered for about a year total experience in two different places; no one ever told me I was supposed to check the backs of the cards. However they also told us to try and make the customer swipe the card so we would have nothing to do with credit card theft problems.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:51 AM

BPS,

I hadn't thought about it, but now that you mention that. Anyone else notice how many places have that swiper in front now? It probably is there to reduce their liability with CC theft.

At every retail job I had, if a CC was being used, you had to check the back, but this was before most people started using debit cards. It was either cash or a credit card.