Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Quick gas station rant

I'm not sure about in other parts of the country but it seems that here in san diego more and more gas stations are switching to debit/atm only at the pump instead of credit cards. Most also charge a fee for this, but that is of far less concern than the inconvenience of not taking a freaking credit card.

Getting gas is a huge inconvenience as it is imo, and having to walk into the station and wait in line makes it like 10x worse.

I pulled up to one tonight, realized they didnt take credit cards at the pump, and got back in my car an drove away. I plan to boycott all of these gas stations from now on unless i am in a huge hurry or really really need gas.

Anyone else feel the same way or am i turning into an stubborn old man?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Quick gas station rant

I know of no such thing happening in baltimore. I am free to use my debit or credit card with no difference in price than if I were paying in cash.

btw, paid 1.97/gal. the other day. Felt good to not have to pay $40 to fill the tank.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 PM

That sounds pretty stupid to me. Why wouldn't they allow credit cards at the pump? Major inconvenience.

Of course, I'm in Jersey where I just hand my credit card to the guy because I CAN'T PUMP MY OWN FREAKING GAS ANYWAY!!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:41 PM

Dude, you allowed to pump you're own gas stop complaining.

the whole debit/credit conflict is a strange one that you only see at gas stations. Yesterday I was inside paying and was asked if Id like to use credit and save money ($0.50 I think) but what I find odd is I've never encountered this conflict at any other type of Merchant.

additionally to expand the discussion some.

Am I the only who is driven crazy by fact that Visa markets itself on not needing ID yet anytime I go to Tacobell,Subway or some other place where I am spending under $10 I am asked for an ID almost every time. Ridiculous.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know of no such thing happening in baltimore. I am free to use my debit or credit card with no difference in price than if I were paying in cash.

btw, paid 1.97/gal. the other day. Felt good to not have to pay $40 to fill the tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats how it generally is almost everywhere.

but lately there have been places that dont accept credit cards at the pump. THey refer to debit cards as ATM cards and charge you a fee just like an ATM would except smaller.

Some also include things that will allow you to pay at the pump with cash. But I think prepaying with cash is super annoying bc you either dont get all the way filled up or have to go inside anyways for change.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the whole debit/credit conflict is a strange one that you only see at gas stations. Yesterday I was inside paying and was asked if Id like to use credit and save money ($0.50 I think) but what I find odd is I've never encountered this conflict at any other type of Merchant.

Am I the only who is driven crazy by fact that Visa markets itself on not needing ID yet anytime I go to Tacobell,Subway or some other place where I am spending under $10 I am asked for an ID almost every time. Ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive seen the credit/debit thing at a few smaller ma and pop type markets and stuff.

the place across the street from me charges 60 for debit and has a $10 min. for credit.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a minority? I've never been asked for ID when using my credit card in my life. Is that standard for most people?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a minority? I've never been asked for ID when using my credit card in my life. Is that standard for most people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just gonna post the same thing. I live in Canada, is it an American thing to ID credit cards?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 AM

Gas stations in Oregon are [censored] retarded.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:37 AM

Ive never been asked for Id on any CC Visa or other. I have also never encountered a Gas Station that only took Debit.