Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Housing/lease situation

NLSoldier,

Just think, you probably wouldn't be in this mess if fluffpop had been cleaning your crib instead of posting on 2+2...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be easier just to find a different place? I wouldn't want to stay where I'm not welcomed.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I theory yeah we should just find a new place. But rental property is in pretty high demand in mission beach and this was one of the very few newish nice houses available. Also, a huge portion of available property (in mission beach) gets taken up by studends who pretty much all got their leases signed 1-2 months ago.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 PM

I used to rent an apartment on the backside of a mansion down in Pasadena. When I moved in, the place was for sale, so I asked the owner what would happen if he sold.

He said that the house wouldn't sell, it was on the market "at a ridiculous price" just to see if anyone would bite.

Well, someone bought the house. A guy that worked for the same company I did (lol).

The terms of the lease would have remained the same, but I used it as an excuse to get out there early.

Edit: I think you should GTFO while you have a chance, Soiler.

Having a POd, incompetent landlord doesn't sound like good times.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GUH wtf now?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. First find out the laws in CA.

The owner of the house I lived in last year sold the house a month or two into the lease. The new owner was liable for the existing lease (Kansas).

2. Live somewhere else, but have the owner of your current house buy you out of the lease.

Edit: Obviously she should buy you out of the lease because it will be difficult for you to find similar housing (and probably cost more at this time of year). Plus, it cost you time in having to deal with it all.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Live somewhere else, but have the owner of your current house buy you out of the lease.

Edit: Obviously she should buy you out of the lease because it will be difficult for you to find similar housing (and probably cost more at this time of year). Plus, it cost you time in having to deal with it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this sounds like the best option at this point.

As far as a buyout goes, I assume the first thing we would ask for is a 100% refund of our damage deposit.

Above that we just pick a random number and ask for cash?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:50 PM

Your damages are the difference in price you have to pay for a new place compared to your current rent, plus any costs for having to find a new place. This might be hard to figure out until you actually have a new place rented, but that would be the basis for your damages.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this sounds like the best option at this point.

As far as a buyout goes, I assume the first thing we would ask for is a 100% refund of our damage deposit.

Above that we just pick a random number and ask for cash?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-21-2007, 08:56 PM

This is what i learned from reading your post.

Renting a new house to 4 college students is ---EV.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 PM

I rent a house to 6 college students, its defiantly ++EV. They pay a premium to market rent (as do most in cities with lots of colleges). You have ever right to your lease, but the LL will certainly make the whole process a pain in the ass. I think you might be better off asking for a settlement to get money to move somewhere else

SteveOMS
Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 PM

" I think you might be better off asking for a settlement to get money to move somewhere else
"

ok it looks like this is what is going to happen.

The house is selling for a little over a million. I have no idea how much having the lease attached effects the price, but the lease is worth like $30k in rental payments and is still bringing the price down rather than up.

How much should we be looking for in compensation?