Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't like his gameplan of coming out and clinching with Tim. Tim is just so big, and Vera is already an undersized HW.

[/ QUOTE ]

He appologised to his trainer for not executing his fight plan. I don't think clinching on the fence was where he wanted it. When Tim closes the gap and pushes him into the fence, how much choice does he have really?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He appologised to his trainer for not executing his fight plan. I don't think clinching on the fence was where he wanted it. When Tim closes the gap and pushes him into the fence, how much choice does he have really?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had a chance to rewatch the fight, but I specifically remember Vera immediately clinching with Sylvia at the opening of round 1, and I think he did it again in round 2 or 3. It's one thing to get stuck in a clinch, but I remember him initiating it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Silva is sick but I think his one weakness might be wrestling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, but he sure had a sweet reversal on Marquardt when Nate went for a single leg that led to him finishing the fight.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:48 AM

its too bad chonan has gone down to 170, would be sweet seeing him vs anderson again.

For those who havent seen the miracle submission from chonan vs silva, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2XRZsNQb7U

so unbelievable beautiful, a big part of why I love this sport [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 AM

"Miraculous" is definitely the right word for it. Chonan was dominated that entire fight and would be dominated again if they fought now.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Miraculous" is definitely the right word for it. Chonan was dominated that entire fight and would be dominated again if they fought now.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually as much as I like barnett he is wrong in this case, chonan wasnt being dominated as much as he states, ive had this discussion over at SA's MMA-thread a couple of times.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:27 AM

Sorry for the video barrage. Few snippets:

Ah, my favorite fighter to date. Franky Shamrock. This is an old fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6eNTcsA1e4

Silva. Absurd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnpUkneMSWE

and check out Liddell on painkillers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKeNWggSPA
Old 10-23-2007, 07:31 AM

Quick question for folks more in the know but how rigged is the ultimate fighter series, not the fights but in the fighters likely to move on from the series into UFC.

Talking to my stepson and he thought I was talking crap. My feeling is that with Dana Whites knowledge and contacts he puts in 3-4 fighters that would have got into UFC anyway but gives them a platform to build a public image and following that helps make some PPV cards more broadly appealing.

Theres then another 2-3 that he thinks might get in but he is unsure about so gives a chance with low risk to the UFC, and the rest are pretty much no hopers but might make decent tv as well as giving warm up fights for the main people he expects to get through.

It seems business sense to me but as I say my stepson is an unbeliever, thoughts?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quick question for folks more in the know but how rigged is the ultimate fighter series, not the fights but in the fighters likely to move on from the series into UFC.

Talking to my stepson and he thought I was talking crap. My feeling is that with Dana Whites knowledge and contacts he puts in 3-4 fighters that would have got into UFC anyway but gives them a platform to build a public image and following that helps make some PPV cards more broadly appealing.

Theres then another 2-3 that he thinks might get in but he is unsure about so gives a chance with low risk to the UFC, and the rest are pretty much no hopers but might make decent tv as well as giving warm up fights for the main people he expects to get through.

It seems business sense to me but as I say my stepson is an unbeliever, thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the show is clearly and effectively used as a marketing vehicle for up and coming fighters.

I would not call this rigged.

J
Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Not rigged, but a great marketing technique for the UFC. It's clear that following Couture's departure that Dana needed to pump up that division, so they kept on showing shots of lesner and nogueria. Wanderlei is primed for a major battle as well by the way they keep on featuring him.
Closed Thread