Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Default I know what he has, but am not sure of a good line to protect my hand

Villain is 30/23/3.6. I'm almost positive he has J10 here, so based on that - where do we go?

The easy answer is call flop and donk brick turn, but he is very capable of raising the turn with a big draw as well as a set, so if that is your line, what type of raises do you fold to/reraise?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $5/$10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $579.00
BB: $970.00
UTG: $1,580.25
Hero (MP): $1,772.75
CO: $1,063.00
BTN: $2,904.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $35.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $35.00, 2 folds

Flop: ($85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $56.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $170.00</font>, Hero?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Re: I know what he has, but am not sure of a good line to protect my hand

I would like to be able to read hands like that?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: I know what he has, but am not sure of a good line to protect my hand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm almost positive he has J10 here

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
he is very capable of raising the turn with a big draw as well as a set, so if that is your line, what type of raises do you fold to/reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Never fold, always reraise? If you're that certain he has JT (which is a dubiously small range to put someone on in the first place), why do you even need to ask?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM

you make it tough with that weak flop bet. Bets like this are just begging to be raised even if its a feeler. Guarantee that the turn card is going to be scary and it will be tough to continue. As played (small flop cbet) id call and hope for VERY BLANK turn. Make it easy on yourself and bet 74 on the flop.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 AM

to justify my read -

i don't think he has air.

i feel like a small pp/9Xs would float the flop, or make more of a feeler raise than a big raise.

a set wouldn't raise that much on a dry board.

He isn't floating 9Xs much,, he doesn't have 9Xo, and his large raise looks like a hand where he knows he has equity vs all my holdings (so isn't afraid to commit chips to the pot), but he would rather take it down right here.

that leaves us J10.

ideas?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to justify my read -

i don't think he has air.

i feel like a small pp/9Xs would float the flop, or make more of a feeler raise than a big raise.

a set wouldn't raise that much on a dry board.

He isn't floating 9Xs much,, he doesn't have 9Xo, and his large raise looks like a hand where he knows he has equity vs all my holdings (so isn't afraid to commit chips to the pot), but he would rather take it down right here.

that leaves us J10.

ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

This "read" is ridiculous. How in the world can you rule out A9, T9, TT, JJ, etc.?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:39 PM

I'm pretty sure i covered 9x and smaller pps... and a guy with those stats doesn't float 1010/JJ in position often.
anways - you people are destroying this forum - when a read isn't posted you write some sarcastic retort about getting no information, and when it is all you can say is it is rediculous?

i'm 80% certain he has J10.

make your own read if you want, say why, then say what you'd do with the hand. is it that hard?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure i covered 9x and smaller pps... and a guy with those stats doesn't float 1010/JJ in position often.
anways - you people are destroying this forum - when a read isn't posted you write some sarcastic retort about getting no information, and when it is all you can say is it is rediculous?

make your own read if you want, say why, then say what you'd do with the hand. is it that hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're read is certain, then it's a math problem. You're a favorite on the flop even if he has JTs, so if you think he will call, shove. Otherwise reraise whatever you think he will call, and then value-bet the turn at the maximum you think he will call so long as he has the wrong odds to draw. Or call the flop and maximize a value bet on the turn, folding if he connects.

The point is that (1)you can't be certain about your read, and (2)if you are, then there's no real questions.

Just bet the flop, turn, and river to maximize value, and fold if he outdraws you.

Or give us some more info and ask what we think his range is on the flop. That would work too.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: I know what he has, but am not sure of a good line to protect my h

Check/call or check/fold the turn or river to induce bluffs, depending on how often you think you're ahead.
But like others said, even with TJ, any 7,T,J,Q gives him the lead and the A and K are scare cards. So there really isnt any good way to play this out of position - best thing you can do is control the pot, if you really think you're ahead.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you 80% sure he had JT,.....because thats what he had after the fact,or did you you have some mind-boggling read to come up with this precise hand only?

As played the BT could have a wide range,put you on two over cards,whatever....esp. after your weak-azz Flop/C-Bet!

If you felt he was behind or drawing then,why not bet or raise accordingly?

~stephen [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]