Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: I has a New Puppy!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood why anybody thought pad training was a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well it's definitely not and I completely regret trying it now. I'm not the type to shy away from trying new things, including dog training techniques. In theory it's a great idea to keep your house & floor relatively clean during the training period. In practice it works terribly bad. Ah well, live and learn and hopefully try to keep people from repeating my mistake.

At one point our damn dog refused to go outside (even on the pad outside) and would only go on the pad on the tile floor. That's when we knew that this form of house breaking would never work.

Those puppy pads are f-ing expensive too. That's some type of business those companies are running...

[/ QUOTE ]

worked like a champ with my dog. He's the best house-trained dog I have ever had. He hasn't went in the house in over a year and we 100% trained him on the pee pads since he was 6 weeks old.

There is a technique to training a dog using the pads.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM

DDY,

I've talked to a good amount of people about this, including professional dog trainers. Some people do have success with this method, I'm glad you did. However, I've come to the conclusion that you are part of the rare exception with this technique.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DDY,

I've talked to a good amount of people about this, including professional dog trainers. Some people do have success with this method, I'm glad you did. However, I've come to the conclusion that you are part of the rare exception with this technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, my dog is a very intelligent breed so he picks things up easily anyway. I might have just gotten lucky.

And the leftover doggy pads work great for changing baby's diapers too. win-win.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM

DDY you got a link to the method you speak of?, I imagine its the same one my GF is trying. Move pad closer and closer to the door until outside then pull it away. Beagles are stubborn as hell so I dunno how well its gonna work.

Anyway heres a few more pics (BTW vet says the eye should work it self out in 6 months, it seems really noticeable in thse pics but if you saw her you wouldn't think so.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:23 AM

super cute pup, BTW.

That's pretty much what I did and one day, my dog didn't want to use them anymore and we took them away.

However, my dog was around 1 before he was 100% housebroken. It takes a while and pads will save you a lot of headache and damage. piss just soaks into everything.

You just have to be patient with them. It takes a while.

Remember to praise the hell out of them when they go outside. Taking your dog on a lot of walks will help reinforce it too.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 PM

My puppy pees in his crate
Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My puppy pees in his crate

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a smaller crate , it did the trick with mine. Like its barley big enough for her to stand in and move in she doesnt soil it at all

Here is NicksDad puppy, hes at work and couldn't do it so I lent him a hand

Hes a Great Dane. He's 10 weeks old and 29lbs now.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:14 PM

damn that is a cute [censored] dane
Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cool dog, is it going to be a hunter?

[/ QUOTE ]
I want her to be GF says "Why would I want her to come home all bloody"

Because its damn cool?

The best she will probably do is hunt down her chew toy though

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever have a chance to take her pheasant hunting, go it up. Last fall my buddy took his beagle pup and I took my German Shorthair out. The both did good and had a blast.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't let her bite you? When our dog was a puppy, if he bit us, we'd clamp a hand down on his muzzle (obv without the body part in his mouth!). I've heard that dogs do this to the younger dogs to put them in their place. At least that explains the scar near my nose from a dog bite when I was 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, this one is really small and seems like it's just following instinct learning how to bite in case it is needed as it is for dogs in the wild.

It's too small to hurt but seems to be borderline and it would be better if she could know not to bite too hard when playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Puppies usually interact with their littermates and learn that biting isn't ok. But your gf probably doesn't have the mom and littermates too.

Nip (ha) it in the bud and don't let her think that biting is ok. It's a bad habit for them to learn and could get your gf in some trouble if the dog bit someone's kid.

edit- article on bite inhibition training

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome article - thanks for the link.