Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Express lane Discrimination?

In the area I live there is only one large, non-bodega, supermarket within about 30+ blocks. It’s not a particularly wealthy neighborhood and this store is always crowded. The employee’s are as apathetic as low wage workers can be, so it’s always slow.

Now there are two express lanes that are marginally faster, however 9 times out of 10 there is someone there using food stamps. This process always involves some attendant having to get called up to go back into stock and make sure the customer got the right type of cheese, the right diapers, whatever. Many times it also involves a hand written check, further stalling the line. This happens probably 60% of the time.

Is discrimination to feel that food stamps shouldn’t be allowed in the express lane? On one hand I think it might be economic discrimination, but on the other, it’s not like people aren’t discriminated when they whip out tons of paper and verify item by item. And if I’m not getting government handouts the least I should be able to do is buy my beer faster right?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Express lane Discrimination?

Let it go, bud.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:19 PM

go when it's not busy, obv

it wouldn't be illegal to say no food stamps in the express lane (they are allowed to say cash only in certain lines, it's totally legal), but it would definitely be very unpopular.

if this is important to you i'd say move somewhere people don't spend a lot of food stamps, or else get over it. i would do the latter
Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go when it's not busy, obv

it wouldn't be illegal to say no food stamps in the express lane (they are allowed to say cash only in certain lines, it's totally legal), but it would definitely be very unpopular.

if this is important to you i'd say move somewhere people don't spend a lot of food stamps, or else get over it. i would do the latter

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know if I was being a nit or not. I'll have to find a whole foods. $6 milk should thin the crowds.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 PM

Go to 7-11.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 PM

Move to a neighborhood where your neighbors don't pay with food stamps. Problem solved. I can't remember the last time I saw someone pay with those, and I'm hardly a big balla.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 PM

I wish they would do this. I've only seen someone paying with food stamps twice, the two times I went into the supermarket in South Philly, and both times it was an enormous hassle.

The first time all I'm buying is a tube of chap stick. I scope out the lines to find the shortest one, it's the express lane. The woman in front of me has like 3 things so I'm thinking this will be quick. Nope, she spent 10 minutes arguing with the checkout girl about whether or not she could get cash back on her food stamps.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let it go, bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only right answer, though grocery stores can definitely one of the most infuriating places...
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 PM

here in NY they have debit cards that function as food stamps, it makes things a lot easier.

honestly i think part of the reason they don't change it in other places is to make it as humiliating or as big of a hassle for everyone else as possible.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:08 AM

It was a debit card thing in Philly too. She just wouldn't take "No cashback" for an answer though.