Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Turn

The CO is tight, but is he aggressive or passive?

I believe I'm behind here, and have less outs than we may think. We are either against a set, JJ, or KJ. So, an 8, A, 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are all tainted, IMO. That leaves 7 clubs and 3 King outs. If any of the tainted outs come, it is going to be hard to call a large bet.

So, with position, I like a call here. I may be put to the test with a tough river, but I prefer getting all my chips in with the best hand in the early part of tournaments, and I don't have the best hand, just the best draw, right now. I call, hoping to squeeze out a river card and a lot of COs chips.

I forgot to take Miami John into consideration. He could conceivably make a big check raise here in hopes of taking down the pot. However, with CO being classified as tight, I'd have to believe MJ also sees this, and is going to fold all but a few big hands. And a raise isn't going to push him off anything he is check raising with. So, if MJ raises behind, we have an interesting decision, depending on what CO does. I believe if MJ raises, CO will push and we will be forced out of the hand. If MJ calls, we are in an even better position. And if he folds, which I believe he will do, we are hoping for a nice river.