Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: hypothetical golf career

Head pro is not realistic nor do his current scores indicate sufficient natural talent to ultimately pass the playing test (although the test itself is not terribly difficult, but pressure-packed).

If your man had what it takes to be a head anything, he would more likely be moving in that direction already in a field where he possessed a more natural vocation.

One of my golf mates actually did attempt this in his mid 40's and he did get his card, after a few years hard work. (He was a mid-single-digit handicapper on average, but had the ability to occasionally go low.) He knocked around as little better than a driving range assistant for some time and eventually gave it up. He couldn't get even a sniff from a small-town, country track -- no pedigree, insufficient contacts and he didn't have "the look." Too bad -- he was quite knowledgeable, a very hard worker, a talented teacher and genuinely loved the game.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say there's a guy in his early 20s. He averages 100-110. He can support himself financially for a few years. His goal is to become a head pro at a course.

Is this realistic? Also what's his best strategy for succeeding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd tell him he needs a better goal.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just for fun, I think I know the answer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lets say there's a guy in his mid 20s. He averages 330+ off the tee and is a +1 with a couple months of practice. He can support himself financially for a long time. His goal is to win one PGA event with a 7-figure payday.

Is this even remotely possible? Also what's his best strategy for succeeding.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say about 1 in a thousand.
Best strategy-
1 great swing instructor.
1 great putting instructor.
Hit more balls than Vijay, and be the cockiest guy with a putter that you can possibly be.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say there's a guy in his early 20s. He averages 100-110. He can support himself financially for a few years. His goal is to become a head pro at a course.

Is this realistic? Also what's his best strategy for succeeding.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long has this guy been playing for? Best strategy imo would be to find a good pro to work with, then hit balls until your hands bleed. Get on the putting green for a couple hours a day and work on all areas of your shortgame.

I really believe that practice can only take you so far though, some people just don't have the ability. All of us will hit a golf platuea, whether it's 80 or 72 and it becomes almost impossible to drop any more shots consistently. So I guess the only way to know if you're good enough is to give it your all and see where that leads.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM

^^pretty much^^
Old 06-12-2007, 01:12 AM

I would have to say it depends on the guy. Some people are just more golf coordinated than others. If the guy is a decent athlete and has some kind of natural golf ability then I say yeah not to unreasonable. Really to pass the PAT all you have to do is break 80 twice from the whites. I say all in all it would take two to three years of pretty consistent practice and some sort of competition for a guy with reasonable golf talent and access to some great teaching to pass his pat. As far as working as a head pro, you really have to put in your dues as an assistant pro and be willing to move around a bit to go where your next job oppurtunity is. Also if you like weekends and holidays off , then a head pro job is not for you.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:12 PM

From personal experience: at 18 I would shoot about 100, worked at a golf course for 4 years through college, played 90 rounds per summer, practiced 10-20 hours a week for the 4 years. Lived with the club's Assistant Pro, received regular help from 3 quality golf professionals on staff (average about 1 lesson a week). After 4 years of the golf regime, working 40 hours a week I was serviceable as a club assistant professional.

This was followed by 5 years as an assistant completing the bookwork making very little money, more practice, making contacts, etc. Took my first head professional job and after a few years and many hours I now make more than the people in my original major in college and I love my job.

"A man who loves his job never has to go to work"

It can be done but everything has a price