Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 AM

Default NL 100: AKo Squeeze

4th hand at the table and no reads/stats

Note stack sizes of two villians. Standard shove here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($91.80)
UTG+1 ($98.60)
MP1 ($61.75)
Hero ($100)
MP3 ($57.15)
CO ($69.90)
Button ($41.30)
SB ($100.35)
BB ($44.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $13</font>, Button calls $13, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100
Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: NL 100: AKo Squeeze

Looks fine to me.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:19 AM

with stacks this is ultrastandard. I think its closer with full stacks, but probably still a shove.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:20 AM

In this situation, yes, standard shove.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Pushing is much better than calling.

When I'm playing live, and I don't have a read on villain's reraising range, then I usually give him credit for QQ-AA/AK and fold AK if we're over 100bb's deep and I'm OOP like this. Mostly that's because I just don't have as many hands in a session to make up for losing an all-in preflop with AK OOP when villain turns out to be a nit with KK/AA. With more of a read that villain reraises too much, or if villain has a medium-sized stack, then I'd push too. I wouldn't ever call in this spot, however.

So, vs a guy with whom you have no idea what his LP FR reraising range is over your MP2 open raise, a fold isn't terrible IMO if he had a full stack (in OP he only has $69.90 making push look a little better than fold even though you don't have a read on him yet).
Old 11-26-2007, 01:25 AM

I disagree. I think in this situation you can flat call the 3 bet and take the flop. AA-JJ are def in the CO and buttons range. If you shove you would want the CO or button to have QQ JJ P10 AQ even if they have one of those you are only ahead of AQ because AK is still a upaired hand.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 AM

The reason I'm shoving is to try and get the CO to fold JJ/QQ here by using by the 4-bet and the fact that someone is still to act behind him.

Ideally they would both fold b/c it is unlikey that I'm ahead of both of their hands, if either. Just using the power of betting to move them off their holdings and if I'm called, there is a sizable amount of money in the pot to offset the times I'm faced with KK (compared to a ~flip)
Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA-JJ are def in the CO and buttons range. If you shove you would want the CO or button to have QQ JJ P10 AQ even if they have one of those you are only ahead of AQ because AK is still a upaired hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The BTN is unlikely to just cold call a reraise with AA-KK. He probably has a mid-pair or small pair and is optimistically calling for "set value" despite not really having good implied odds to do so. He might have a suited aces, like AKs or AQs with which he is calling in position. I don't think he can call an all-in from the original raiser, especially if the CO folds.

CO probably has a reraising range somewhere between KK-AA (super tight), QQ-AA,AK (tight), and TT-AA,AK,AQs (semi-loose). Vs these ranges, TT-JJ,AQs and probably even AK all fold. Even QQ might fold. If QQ-AA call, AKo still has 30% equity. Even against KK-AA, AKo has 18% equity. But putting them all in puts a lot of pressure on CO, maximizing your fold equity, and if he folds, then BTN probably folds as well. And if CO calls, BTN still probably folds, and hero sees all five cards without further betting OOP when he's up agains QQ-KK. He's only really in trouble if CO actually has AA, which is less likely than QQ-KK/AK.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I think in this situation you can flat call the 3 bet and take the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I think that flat calling a reraise out of position with a hand like AK is a leak. Raising or folding is better. You will miss your top pair 2/3s of the time, and even when you hit you will then have to play OOP on every street which makes it hard to win the most when ahead, and lose the least when behind.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM

[nit]
doing this with a decent hand like AK isn't really a squeeze. 72off, it is a squeeze.
[/nit]
Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Push or fold,though I really don't know how much I like shoving here...