Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: this is your war on drugs

[ QUOTE ]

Don't think this really has that much to do with US government regulations on medicine, how medicine is practiced, and the designation of which drugs should be issued by prescription.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are one and the same. As evidenced by Paey's 24 year sentence.

[ QUOTE ]
The "war on drugs" to me anyway is more about government efforts to stop illegal drug use and how they've encroached on individual rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and this include the zealous prosecution of prescription drug violations. The "drug war" encompasses all this and trying to make a distinction between Valium and Heroin is spurious. It's the same issue.

natedogg
Old 11-25-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I was in high school, my mother wanted me to get her some pot for a friend of hers that had breast cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate to derail the thread, but what kind of sally high school did you go to where you could not find any pot? I never smoked during high school and I knew tons of people I could go to, explain that story, and they would be willing to help me out. Nothing against you, it just seems like pot is super prevalent in our society, despite the laws which try and hold it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only did I not smoke pot in high school, I didn't even know anybody there did. Yeah, I felt like an idiot when I realized that EVERYBODY did except me and my friends, but they were pretty closed-mouthed about it unless you smoked with them.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their expertise is there to guide you, to point you in the way of the information that you need. Personally, I can't imagine a scenario that I'd NOT listen to the doctor, but I shouldn't be prosecuted for it if I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd be ok with decisions to totally ignore the advice of the doctor and requisition any drug that someone felt like getting? Could be something else I don't know. But if you have the freedom to administer any drug to yourself that you want you certainly aren't required to consult with a physician.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, you're not required to consult with a physician. But why wouldn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Responding with a question to my qeustion. The only person that gets away with that with me is my wife.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, just because I no longer REQUIRE a "doctor's note" to get medicines doesn't mean that I won't consult with them to find out what I should be taking. I'm not going to suddenly turn stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right but you don't have to if you don't want to. Neither does anyone else if we do away with prescriptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what the problem is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say there was a problem? I made an observation.

What I note about this article whose link was posted by natedogg in his OP:

1) This is a one sided story.

2) The guy wrote prescriptions illegally and got caught.

1) and 2) make it an unremarkable story. Apparently my interest in wanting to know both sides of the story i.e. the prosecutions side and the defendents side is not valid because there can only be one side to this story that I should be interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The story serves as a springboard for discussion about more general issues. Do you really think there is much point in limiting our discussion to specifically one guy's circumstances who I'm sure none of us knows or cares about?

And many of your responses in this thread have been about more general things. You are ALSO talking about the merits of this story but it seems like you mention that a lot when you dont have a response to more general inquiry.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their expertise is there to guide you, to point you in the way of the information that you need. Personally, I can't imagine a scenario that I'd NOT listen to the doctor, but I shouldn't be prosecuted for it if I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd be ok with decisions to totally ignore the advice of the doctor and requisition any drug that someone felt like getting? Could be something else I don't know. But if you have the freedom to administer any drug to yourself that you want you certainly aren't required to consult with a physician.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, you're not required to consult with a physician. But why wouldn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Responding with a question to my qeustion. The only person that gets away with that with me is my wife.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, just because I no longer REQUIRE a "doctor's note" to get medicines doesn't mean that I won't consult with them to find out what I should be taking. I'm not going to suddenly turn stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right but you don't have to if you don't want to. Neither does anyone else if we do away with prescriptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what the problem is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say there was a problem? I made an observation.

What I note about this article whose link was posted by natedogg in his OP:

1) This is a one sided story.

2) The guy wrote prescriptions illegally and got caught.

1) and 2) make it an unremarkable story. Apparently my interest in wanting to know both sides of the story i.e. the prosecutions side and the defendents side is not valid because there can only be one side to this story that I should be interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The story serves as a springboard for discussion about more general issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think there is much point in limiting our discussion to specifically one guy's circumstances who I'm sure none of us knows or cares about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I ask you to limit your discusssion?

[ QUOTE ]
And many of your responses in this thread have been about more general things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Originally I responded that the circumstances described in the story didn't make much sense. Then someone posted that the guy had forged a doctors signature on prescriptions. To which I stated that I'd like to hear the other the side of the story. Natedogg responded that he shouldn't have been on trial to begin with. To which I inquired as to why he thought that way and what it boiled down to was that he believes prescriptions are unnecessary and he agreed to make a post about why. I thanked him for his efforts.

People responded to my posts with statements questioning the difference between laywers and doctors; their beliefs about doctors etc. and I simply responed to their responses to mine. Many people asked me questions, some inquired as to what my problem is etc. So for whatever reason it's seems like they wanted to talk about a lot of other things. So what?

[ QUOTE ]
You are ALSO talking about the merits of this story but i seems like you mention that a lot when you dont have a response to more general inquiry.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what general inquires are you referring to? Simple question for you, can someone be opposed to the "war on drugs" but support prescriptions for certain medications?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simple question for you, can someone be opposed to the "war on drugs" but support prescriptions for certain medications?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be absurd to be against the war on drugs but not outraged at a 24 year prison sentence for a prescription violation.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 PM

I don't think it was the prescription violation? Didn't they claim he was dealing the pills out, and that's why he got such an insane sentence?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Simple question for you, can someone be opposed to the "war on drugs" but support prescriptions for certain medications?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be absurd to be against the war on drugs but not outraged at a 24 year prison sentence for a prescription violation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't answer the question.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it was the prescription violation? Didn't they claim he was dealing the pills out, and that's why he got such an insane sentence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Punishing Pain

What followed was a legal saga pitting Mr. Paey against his longtime doctor (and a former friend of the Paeys), who denied at the trial that he had given Mr. Paey some of the prescriptions. Mr. Paey maintains that the doctor did approve the disputed prescriptions, and several pharmacists backed him up at the trial. Mr. Paey was convicted of forging prescriptions.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Punishing Pain

What followed was a legal saga pitting Mr. Paey against his longtime doctor (and a former friend of the Paeys), who denied at the trial that he had given Mr. Paey some of the prescriptions. Mr. Paey maintains that the doctor did approve the disputed prescriptions, and several pharmacists backed him up at the trial. Mr. Paey was convicted of forging prescriptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the real issue:

He was subject to a 25-year minimum penalty because he illegally possessed Percocet and other pills weighing more than 28 grams, enough to classify him as a drug trafficker under Florida's draconian law (which treats even a few dozen pain pills as the equivalent of a large stash of cocaine).
Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Deleted - because TomVeil beat me to the punch