Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 PM

Default How much does someone make for being sponsored by a poker site?

How much do poker players make for being sponsored by a poker site? Like Moneymaker, Raymer, Hachem, Negraneau from Poker Stars. I think some of the players from FullTilt actually have a stake in the site but how about regularly sponsored players from most sites?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: How much does someone make for being sponsored by a poker site?

free clothing, that's it
Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM

50/50 split of how much they scam from your play.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Moneymaker and Raymer are/were in a slightly different situation than Hachem--Hachem had not won a seat in the ME via an online satellite. Shortly after Hachem won, a big powwow was held at the Wynn, where each of the online sites made their pitch to bid for Hachem's endorsement. Scuttlebutt I heard was his original deal was for one year, for which he got $7 Million in cash, plus being bought in to as many of the WPT/WSOP events as he wanted (with the understanding that he would play quite a few of them), PLUS being bought into a fair number of the big tournaments on 'Stars (Sunday Million, WCOOP, etc).

Evidently, this deal has been extended, as Hachem continues to be affiliated with 'Stars, although how much money he gets in the clear (as opposed to just tournament buy-ins) is not information I have. 'Stars is not a "backer" on these tournament buy-ins btw; they don't profit from the players' wins, in either the WPT/WSOP events or the 'Stars events--they just want the players to be playing in the events, so they maintain their visibility.

I assume that Moneymaker and Raymer have similar deals (though possibly not as much free-and-clear cash).

Re FullTilt: It's true that Lederer and Ferguson have an equity stake, so their "payment" is obvious. As for the rest, I don't know--they appear to have various levels of sponsored player. For example, I'm sure that Jen Harman's deal is different from Greg Mueller, which is different from Matusow's, Phil Gordon's, or that of [insert name of latest 22-year old bracelet winner here]. The biggest names probably have similar deals to the 'Stars players--the lesser names may just get bought in to tournaments, and such, in exchange for wearing their logo-wear.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moneymaker and Raymer are/were in a slightly different situation than Hachem--Hachem had not won a seat in the ME via an online satellite. Shortly after Hachem won, a big powwow was held at the Wynn, where each of the online sites made their pitch to bid for Hachem's endorsement. Scuttlebutt I heard was his original deal was for one year, for which he got $7 Million in cash, plus being bought in to as many of the WPT/WSOP events as he wanted (with the understanding that he would play quite a few of them), PLUS being bought into a fair number of the big tournaments on 'Stars (Sunday Million, WCOOP, etc).

Evidently, this deal has been extended, as Hachem continues to be affiliated with 'Stars, although how much money he gets in the clear (as opposed to just tournament buy-ins) is not information I have. 'Stars is not a "backer" on these tournament buy-ins btw; they don't profit from the players' wins, in either the WPT/WSOP events or the 'Stars events--they just want the players to be playing in the events, so they maintain their visibility.

I assume that Moneymaker and Raymer have similar deals (though possibly not as much free-and-clear cash).

Re FullTilt: It's true that Lederer and Ferguson have an equity stake, so their "payment" is obvious. As for the rest, I don't know--they appear to have various levels of sponsored player. For example, I'm sure that Jen Harman's deal is different from Greg Mueller, which is different from Matusow's, Phil Gordon's, or that of [insert name of latest 22-year old bracelet winner here]. The biggest names probably have similar deals to the 'Stars players--the lesser names may just get bought in to tournaments, and such, in exchange for wearing their logo-wear.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice reply, this is something that I've wondered about for a while too.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 PM

7 million is a bit high sir.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

also, hachem bought in direct to wsop. he did not sat in.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain where you're getting such information?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind however, that Hachem bought in directly, and no online owned him when he won.

He was in a rather unique situation, and if I remember correctly, it was also prior to the anti-internet gambling laws went into place in the US.

As such, he was in the catbirds seat, and had several onlines pitching offers to him. So, it is conceivable, that he could indeed garner 7 million from PS.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:58 PM

I heard it was 7million also....
But dont forget he has to clear 15X bonus in FPPs base to get it =)