Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-28-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
innocent people get killed by the death penality though, not just bad people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this suggest that any measure that saves just one life is to be valued over the alternative? If you consider that in its fullness you'll see it for the foolishness it represents.

Everything is an equation and that includes all matters of life and death. Among the convicted there exists some fraction of innocents. Assume we go with life in prison. There will be additional murders and other attrocities commited by this group over their spared lives. Is that greater than the number of wrongly convicted? I'm guessing yes but it's not the end of the calculus. Execution has other pluses as well. Too bad cost savings is not one of them.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what is the purpose of ending this murder's life?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not above admiting that retribution is high on the list. For the victim's family that's a valid reason. To this day I hope that justice is visited upon OJ and his life is ended early, painfully, violently while he pisses his pants.

There's also the validation of life to consider. As a society we state in certain terms that some acts of murder will cost you your life because we value life so much. The deterent aspect will be debated but I know it to be nonzero.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To this day I hope that justice is visited upon OJ and his life is ended early, painfully, violently while he pisses his pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is this guy pretends to be a Christian.

Parody?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was funny. A few facts about death sentences from amnesty.com.

- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan and the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan, China, Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in 2006 the US was responsible for 0-91% of executions and previous to that killed 0-58 minors who committed crimes. Am I reading these statistics correctly?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was funny. A few facts about death sentences from amnesty.com.

- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan and the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan, China, Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in 2006 the US was responsible for 0-91% of executions and previous to that killed 0-58 minors who committed crimes. Am I reading these statistics correctly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are reading the first one correctly, but I read the 2nd as saying that all of those countries were known to have killed at least 58 underage prisoners each.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, USA and Luxembourg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean WTF!!!!!! What an authoritarian hellhole.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Try reading these statistics correctly, then:

- Iran executed 177 people, Pakistan 82 and Iraq and Sudan each at least 65. There were 53 executions in 12 states in the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan (extrajudically by the Taleban), China, Congo (Democratic Republic), Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen. China, Pakistan, USA and Yemen have now raised the minimum age to 18 in law. The USA and Iran have each executed more child offenders than the other seven countries combined and Iran has now exceeded the USA's total since 1990 of 19 child executions. Four child offenders were executed in Iran and one in Pakistan in 2006.

Oh, and China is by far the worst nation with unofficial numbers of 7.500 - 8.000 executions.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I happen to disagree with that perspective, and see zero value in adding to the suffering present in an already greatly suffering world.

[/ QUOTE ]

the suffering of the starving or impoverished is not comparable to that of those who have been imprisoned for wrong doing?

[ QUOTE ]
If someone is no longer capable of doing harmful, evil things to others, then in my opinion there is no value in making that person suffer. All that would do, in my view, would be to increase the total amount of suffering in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

deterrence is also an excellent reason for punishment.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 AM

FWIW there have been more than a few people on death row that have chosen to drop all appeals and end their lives. Basically their choice is based on their existance on death row where they're isolated and confined much of the time. Of course not everyone on death row feels this way.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope this guy frys.

Basicly this past weekend a guy got shot in the head and later died after the UF/FSU football game. He was shot in the head because he asked a couple guys to hurry up who were talking to some people in a car in front of them that was blocking the path when they were trying to leave a parking garage downtown. It's [censored] senseless. Anyone who has so little value for another human being's life does not deserve to live. Leathal injection is too humane for this prick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kid should spend the rest of his days in an 8X8, in my opinion.

The incident happened at 2something am in the morning. Good chance there was some drinkin' going on.

Maybe some hellraising. I went to college, too.

Anyways, maybe the kid in the car didn't say "hurry up". Maybe he said, "Get your n*** black ass out of the F'n way, bitch!".

The black kid, wants to scare the white punk and saw a movie once or twice, fires into the car, gun sideways, barely paying attention to what he is pointing at. Because I'm fairly sure most people, let alone posers, know how to handle a firearm correctly.

Bullet rips thru white kid skull, black kid sh!ts himself and runs.

Change anything at all? And just for the record again, for all you trolling for an argument, I will repeat that the shooter should spend his days in an 8x8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being insulted, called names, or "dissed" makes this no more excusable, understandable, or less painful for the victim's family. And to use drinking as an excuse...come on.