Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Gray market stuff (watches specifically)

Some more research has found the watch from an out of state AD for about 75% of the MSRP, with full warranty etc. Pretty sweet, huh?

Here is said lady TAG balla watch:
Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From reading the article, it looks like the sellers are just doing an arbitrage of sorts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't that what all sellers (all businesses, really) do? I want to buy a watch at $3000, the manufacturer wants to sell that watch at $1500, the watch shop makes it happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of. From what I gathered the watches come from other regions where the cost to buy was cheaper. For example, say a US dealer can get the watch from the factory for $1k and a South American dealer can get it for $500. The South American guy offers it for sale to Americans for $800 but it is not an authorized sale so no factory support, and he is undercutting the US dealer.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From reading the article, it looks like the sellers are just doing an arbitrage of sorts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't that what all sellers (all businesses, really) do? I want to buy a watch at $3000, the manufacturer wants to sell that watch at $1500, the watch shop makes it happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of. From what I gathered the watches come from other regions where the cost to buy was cheaper. For example, say a US dealer can get the watch from the factory for $1k and a South American dealer can get it for $500. The South American guy offers it for sale to Americans for $800 but it is not an authorized sale so no factory support, and he is undercutting the US dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds similar to buying cigarettes made for export to another country or an Indian reservation.

I don't smoke but I know at some tobacco stores you can find cheap cigarettes and the only difference is a sticker on the box saying made for export. So they are obtained cheaper bc taxes were not paid on the product. Apparently a lot of the cigarettes exported to Canada and smuggled back in through an Indian reservation on the border of Canada and New York.

Some companies produce more cigarettes for certain small counties than can possibly be smoked by the population. Conventional wisdom would tell you that these companies are supporting the grey market on purpose/.

Same with steroid companies in Mexico. They don't pay taxes on Veterinary drugs. In turn they produce and export tons of steroids that sell for a fraction of the price of the "human grade" equivalent of the same exact product. Throw a farm animal on the label and profit.

Im assuming the watch thing is similar to all this and a good deal probably can be had assuming you felt that you were not dealing with counterfeiters.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 PM

I can give a detailed answer where loads of the so called outlet clothes come from, at least in europe. There is no such thing as Gucci selling pieces after a season to some 2nd hand retailer. I know this for a fact. In short, if you don't want to support organized crime I would not buy it like that. Not sure about watches though..
Old 11-15-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can give a detailed answer where loads of the so called outlet clothes come from, at least in europe. There is no such thing as Gucci selling pieces after a season to some 2nd hand retailer. I know this for a fact. In short, if you don't want to support organized crime I would not buy it like that. Not sure about watches though..

[/ QUOTE ]

id be interested in hearing this
Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 AM

Where I live, parallel imports are completely legal. That's why sometimes I find coca-cola from Thailand being sold in some markets, and stuff.

It is generally legitimate and above-board. When you are at a shop, the salesperson will say it's a grey-market product and remind you that the warranty is not valid. However, it is still the same product, within a shrink-wrapped box, and so on.

I believe in the US, parallel imports are prohibited. You can thank your copyright lobby for that!