Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Penn and Teller on Walmart

I'm going to have to stand up for my employer.

Now, I cannot say what goes on in every store in every city. All I can speak for is my store.

I am an intern at the Pharmacy at Wal-Mart. I get paid quite well for a 21 year old college student. I like my job and the people that I work with. Everyone that works in the pharmacy with me is happy and cheerful. From the techs that get paid less that I do with 5 years experience, to the pharmacists that pull down six figures, everyone is in a good mood.

So you say, well, the pharmacy is different, you all make good money there. During my lunch break (which everyone must take after 6 hours of work or you will be terminiated), I eat at the Subway inside Wal-Mart. I see middle aged people, older people, all employees and they are cheerful, jublient and enjoying life. The greeters that work there actually have real smiles. The starting wage for a cashier is more that the starting wage at Meijer (which is unionized). In fact, two weeks ago the store paid its yearly bonus to ALL workers, it is based on number of hours worked in the last year. Unfortunately I just started so I didn't get it. No matter how much you make, everyone got the same bonus, depending on how many hours a week you work. The bonus was $1200. A massive bonus for the cashiers and low paid employees.

Now, again, I cannot speak for every employee at every store, but it is tiring to read replies where people act like they work there, and act like it is hell on Earth, because it is far from it. I enjoy working there, and I believe a high majority of my coworkers do too.