Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Recommend a good book, get money

So it's [censored] hot outside, I have 6 Coronas and I'm just going to lie on the terasse for the rest of the day. I need a book to read (which I'll go pick up right now).

I like sci-fi ish stuff, but more fantasy than sci-fi. Nothing by Philip Pullman, or R.R Martin, since I've partly read those and they didn't really appeal to me.

I like the obv classics like Catcher in the Rye or To Kill a Mockingbird. I don't feel like reading Ender's Game or anything. I'm looking for more of an easy-reading type thingl ike Angels & Demons.

If it starts fast and is well written and easy-reading, I'll transfer ~22$ on Stars.

I'm going to pick up the book within the next two hours, so get crack'in yo.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Recommend a good book, get money

Bringin Down the House by Ben Mezrich

entertaining as hell and took me like two sittings to finish
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 PM

The Game by neil strauss.

funny as hell and interesting too. got thru it really quick, fun read.

OR

Cats Cradle by kurt vonnegut. just all around amazing

kyleparks on stars
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 PM

Pale blue dot or Cosmos by Carl Sagan

(or the demon haunted world, dragons of eden, etc)

Or the god delusion by dawkins.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:20 PM

Chicos in Space by Alberto Delivorez

Tale of what would happen if Mexicans went to space. Hilarious, very easy read, and entertaining as hell.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 PM

Catch-22

This is one of my favorite books ever, and I make a point to reread it every other year or so.

Stars name is CappyAA

Description from the back cover:

Catch-22 is like no other novel. It is one of the funniest books ever written, a keystone work in American literature, and even added a new term to the dictionary.

At the heart of Catch-22 resides the incomparable, malingering bombardier, Yossarian, a hero endlessly inventive in his schemes to save his skin from the horrible chances of war. His efforts are perfectly understandable because as he furiously scrambles, thousands of people he hasn't even met are trying to kill him. His problem is Colonel Cathcart, who keeps raising the number of missions the men must fly to complete their service. Yet if Yossarian makes any attempts to excuse himself from the perilous missions that he is committed to flying, he is trapped by the Great Loyalty Oath Crusade, the hilariously sinister bureaucratic rule from which the book takes its title: a man is considered insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions, but if he makes the necessary formal request to be relieved of such missions, the very act of making the request proves that he is sane and therefore ineligible to be relieved.

Catch-22 is a microcosm of the twentieth-century world as it might look to someone dangerously sane--a masterpiece of our time.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM

This:

[ QUOTE ]
Starting with his mother's 'roundhouse' right to a nun's jaw, Stone Junction is a modern odyssey of one man's quest for knowledge and understanding in a world where revenge, betrayal, revolution, mind-bending chemicals, magic and murder are the norm. With jaw-dropping scope, a stiletto-sharp wit and an array of utterly bizarre characters, Jim Dodge has woven a mesmerising and age-defining tale. Like a river constantly changing direction, Stone Junction is both stomach-clutching hilarious and heart-rendingly sad - but always utterly compelling. Prepare to step into a world where nothing is ever as it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

This:

[ QUOTE ]
In 2001, a stranger from Texas descended upon the high-stakes poker room at the world famous Bellagio in Las Vegas and challenged some of the best poker players in the world. At the start, the stranger and one opponent each brought $1 million to the table, betting $10,000 and $20,000 per hand. But after warming up at those stakes, the Stranger, a self made millionaire by the name of Andy Beal, wanted to play even higher...And so began what would become the richest poker game in history. In order to play at such high stakes, the top ten poker professionals in the world had to form "The Corporation" to pool their money and keep playing against Andy Beal and his seemingly limitless bank account. The result was a series of seven games, culminating in October 2003 with a jackpot of over $20 million dollars.But THE PROFESSOR, THE BANKER, AND THE SUICIDE KING is more than just about a few hands of poker. It is a story of outsize egos, appetites, and ambitions; it is a story about the highest echelons of poker playing that very few are able to see; it is a story about one man, twenty million dollars, and one of the most exciting poker games in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or this:

[ QUOTE ]
This book presents the story of the man who broke the bank at the roulette table in Nice in 1966. It is a dry and funny account of how he organised a team of twelve players ( thirteen including himself ) to work a reverse Labouchere betting progression while placing wagers on all six outside, even-money bets at the same time; odd, even, red, black, high and low. Along the way, he offers insights into the effects of gambling on personalities and describes the winning roulette system that he used in detail, along with the discipline, stamina and bankroll required to apply it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM

Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon. The finest sci-fi book ever written by far.. well, best book ever. Concerns an observer swept from his body and drawn through the cosmos to witness countless alien civilizations and life in its many and splendid variations, and eventually is able to glimpse and attempt to understand the Star Maker, the creator of the universe and physics. Stapledon writes as a philosopher first and a science fiction author second, but nonetheless was able to pioneer many advanced and wondrous concepts that were to be later shamelessly borrowed by later authors. The book would be breathtaking if it were written today; but Stapledon's visionary work goes from breathtaking to indescribable when you consider that the first printing was in the 30's.

The book changed my view of the universe and presented the first believable interpretation of God that I'd ever read. Best book ever and it's not even close.

http://www.amazon.com/Maker-Early-Classi...3053&sr=8-1

ruken on Stars - ship it.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 PM

The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov

Very fast read for being a classic Russian novel.

Amazon Link
Old 06-27-2007, 06:30 PM

I've read Bringing Down the House.

I should've mentioned that you gotta give a description in order to entice the readin'.

Don't know how much I want to read about gambling...

When I see something I'll like, I'll check it out for sure and award money if it's good.