Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 AM

Default AQ PF

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1550)
SB (t1910)
BB (t2075)
UTG (t1580)
MP1 (t1905)
MP2 (t3035)
Hero (t1445)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t360</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1910</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero??
Im kind of doubting how good a call would be in this spot, given his most likely holding IMO is slick, and if not, maybe a mid pp.
Almost 2-1, around 1.75-1, so I think calling is fine.
Any thoughts on it.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: AQ PF

It's a sick push, fold and conserve chips. That said, I might keep my PF raise down at 300, though at the micro limits, 360 is probably fine too.

Also, don't forget to include which game this is, its diff if its a $3.40 or a $215
Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 AM

the key to playing poker is successfully is to consider the ranges of your opponent.

in a situation where you have only one choice - whether to call or fold - it is fairly straightforward to mathematically arrive at the answer.

so, in this case, you need to simply use ICM to determine how much equity you have if you call, and how much equity you have if you call.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:48 AM

sorry about not mentioning,
Its a 20$ sng at Stars
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry about not mentioning,
Its a 20$ sng at Stars

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have any information on the opponent? is he loose? is he tight? is he aggressive? is he passive? does he make tricky moves? does he have good pf hand selection?

the point i'm trying to make that this information is absolutely crucial to getting the correct answer to this question.

there are some opponents that i'd snap call, and try to beat them into the pot. there are others that i would fold to in an instant.

you're asking how long a piece of string is. we need more information about the string before any answer is meaningful.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 AM

No info.
Got to admit I wasnt paying that much attention, since I was 2+2ing while playing...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:19 AM

well, if you're not going to help yourself, how can you expect us to help you?

seriously, aside from me being a smart arse, if you genuinely want to get better (as you intended by spending a minute or two of your life in posting this hand) the most important lesson you can learn from this hand is the importance of knowing who you're playing against.

that hand has come and gone. it is over now. so, the question of how to address the similar situation in the future is clear: know your opponents.

while this is perhaps not the answer you were looking for when you posted this thread, it's actually the correct answer that will help you to become a better player in the long run.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 AM

If you're not sure what you're gonna do in case one of the blinds shoves, why raising so much? 250 would be enough.

As played you've basically pricing yourself into the call with such a big PF raise, I guess.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 AM

I agree with pocket bear: The typical shoving range in this spot contains enough pairs against which you have a coin flip to make the call profitable in terms of chips. Since youīre not on the bubble and the chip distribution is rather even it should be profitable in terms of money too.
Of course you could in theory gather information about his range thereby making your decision easier. But letīs face it, many professionals canīt do that because they are 16-tabling and still make profitable decisions on the basis of general assumptions.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But letīs face it, many professionals can do that because they are using a HUD to help them still make profitable decisions on the basis of general assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]