Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Motorcycles

It looks like I'm passing everyones' test in terms of acceptable risk. Which is good, because I've suddenly found myself understanding why it's so fun.

I'm riding a Suzuki cruiser 800 cc. I have my license, I took the safety course. I don't use it to commute, just for pleasure rides, so i avoid commuter traffic.

One of the interesting things I've noticed in vegas is that even the most a-hole drivers tend to give motorcycles a lot of space. I've seen plenty of motorcyclists act stupidly (usually the sports bike rider), but I've been impressed with vegas drivers in this regard. They are truly horrible in every other way.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, my boyfriend

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 PM

Hi Matt,

I got my first motorcycle last year at the age of 42 (and a month later I bought a new BMW). My wife and kids were quite displeased with dad's latest obsession, fearing the worst. But I promised to take EVERY precaution to be safe. In the last year I put 20K miles on my BMW. Here is what I do to try to stay alive.

First, I took the Motorcycle Safety Class, which was very helpful. Later I took the Experienced Motorcycle class.

Second, I ALWAYS ALWAYS wear ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME (ATGATT). I'm talking full face helmet, jacket, pants, gloves and boots. I NEVER ride without ALL THE GEAR! This is hugely important. I don't care if its 100+ degrees outside, I wear ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME! Don't wear a half face helmet, blue jeans, tennis shoes, denim jacket, crap like that. Get GOOD gear, a complete set, and wear it ALL the time! I can't stress this enough. I love waving to other motorcycle riders, but I don't wave if they're not wearing a helmet.

Third, I try to make myself as visible as possible. Most collisions happen cause a cage (car) driver says they didn't see the motorcycle. For me that meant putting on all kinds of extra lights and reflectors on the bike, and wearing a BRIGHT yellow riding suit that literally glows in the dark. Do I look like a banana when I'm riding instead of a cool guy in black leather? Yes. Do I care? No, I'm allergic to skin grafts, I really don't want to get hurt. I also got a Kisan License Plate LED system. Those bright blinking LEDs really make a difference in being seen. There is no such thing as a fender bender on a motorcycle, I really don't want to get rear-ended.

And finally, I drive like everybody is literally trying to kill me. On my rear case I put the letters "Back off please" just to try to get people not to follow so close, seems to help.

Anyway yes riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than riding a car, but wow is it so much more fun. I think with ALL the safety gear and high visibility lights and clothing, the dangers can be reduced. I just got back from a 6000+ mile road trip from Texas to California and back (report coming soon).. so totally epic and fun. Enjoy the ride..

BB

Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 PM

I've been riding for 38 years, one statement that has always held true, There are 2 types of riders, those that have gone down, and those that will go down.

keep the shiny side up
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM

presumably you have "gone down". what happened?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 PM

Ugh.

This state doesn't have a helmet law that I'm aware of and I'm amazed to regularly see riders doing 40+ MPH on surface streets without any protection. Hell I went for a nice long bike (bicycle) ride last week and almost didn't go because my helmet's clip was missing, but I fashioned a knot and off I went. The concern as always wasn't about me being dumb, it was to protect me from others.

My brother had a serious wipeout on a slick road in Iowa City, Iowa around fifteen years ago. Countless surgeries later he has a ton of scars on his right forearm but that I know of is lucky that he didn't suffer any permanent nerve damage. He hasn't ridden a motorcycle since.

Maybe I'm just risk averse, and maybe it is a hell of a rush, but I like the security that a few tons of steel and a couple of airbags provides.

As an aside, I could never get through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I got to a certain point and got bored to tears every time. I did enjoy some of the analogies he made related to his bike though!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been riding for 38 years, one statement that has always held true, There are 2 types of riders, those that have gone down, and those that will go down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prob true. If this is the day you're gona crash, how much protective gear do you want to be wearing when it happens?

ATGATT

I don't have a problem with motorcycles riding with bad gear, no helmets, etc.. My thinking tho is when they crash and get hurt, they're on their own, tuff luck kid, no govt assistance in public hospitals etc... Let em die on the sidewalk and maybe the next motorcycle rider will get smart and suit up.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I look like a banana when I'm riding instead of a cool guy in black leather? Yes. Do I care? No, I'm allergic to skin grafts, I really don't want to get hurt. ...
And finally, I drive like everybody is literally trying to kill me. On my rear case I put the letters "Back off please" just to try to get people not to follow so close, seems to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I love the way Big Bend dresses like a banana and has all the lights and armor. Good job BB. This post made me smile.

Speaking of wearing better gear, I used to ride on the back of my boyfriend's bike wearing cut offs and sandals. Then I got a really bad burn on the inside of my leg as I was trying to get off the huge bike one weekend. Took a long time to heal. After that I started to wear jeans. I detected a bit of sadness in his face when I started to do this but massive burns just aren't my thing. It's not worth the risk trying to look sexy.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I got a really bad burn on the inside of my leg as I was trying to get off the huge bike one weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Riding around in shorts on a bike? Be glad all you got was a little burn. Your boyfriend is an idiot btw.

Link to potentially NSFW image that some people just don't want to see w/o warning

Mod edit: changed in-line image to link.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm just risk averse, and maybe it is a hell of a rush, but I like the security that a few tons of steel and a couple of airbags provides.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this Tuq. My boyfriend doesn't wear a helmet. A lot of riders where I live don't. I think they're nuts.

And that pic that Big Bend just posted, YEOW. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Road rash is gross. I've seen it firsthand and it is not pretty. Even the emergency room doctors wince when they see it.