Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
Especially the education part. Americans are stupid. This puts me on life tilt on a daily basis. But hey, since I'm an American I can say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think the phrase "think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that 50% of the people are stupider than that" goes for most countries. But if you are American you arent exposed to all the stupid people of other nations, but through the export of American tv-series, shows, movies and celebrities the rest of the world are exposed to stupid Americans.

Americans tend to joke about several of the steroetypes about the lack of education and the supposed stupidity of the people, and several TV-shows like to show Amricans getting the simplest "common knowledge" questions wrong. The US are also good at conducting studies that shows the percentage of its population and especially students that lack the knowledge of geography, history, politics and history that we assume all people should have. In other countries the stupid people are more hidden and protected from themselves, Americans dont watch French Tv-shows where stupid people are exposed and European countries have less studies published that reveals the lack of education among a fair share of the population.

Sorry for the rant, now back to asking the Frenchie more questions.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Americans dont watch French Tv-shows where stupid people are exposed

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, you don't want to see those. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Sebastien Chabal, man or god? Expound.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beast.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijack - he plays for the club side I support. God. Not close.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Caveman !
Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Manub-
Great thread! I was just in France for the first time and stayed in a villa in Flurie. I had a few Questions for you...
1) What region is best for cuisine in you opionion?
We found Lyon to be fantastic

2) Do you feel americans are treated better/worse in certain regions? I felt we were welcomed with open arms in the country side of the Beaujolais region but when we travelled to Marseille(sp?) i really felt looked down on. Actually felt really uncomfortable and treated poorly everywhere we went in that city.

3) Whats your favorite French meal?

4) Favorite wine and any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. I truly enjoyed France as a whole and cannot wait to go back. Im still FULL from all the food and wine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
fish
Old 11-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Generally speaking, do the French disdain or admire the US? Same question, but for Germany?

Has the French perception of the US changed significantly from the pre-Bush years to the present?

I have found French restaurants to be hit or miss. But when good, a restaurant can have amazing food. How can a foreigner determine which restaurants are good in Paris? (American travel books are pretty bad at this.)

Why is service so poor in Paris?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, do the French disdain or admire the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, depending on the mattern.

[ QUOTE ]
Same question, but for Germany?

[/ QUOTE ]

None

[ QUOTE ]

Has the French perception of the US changed significantly from the pre-Bush years to the present?

[/ QUOTE ]

It got worse, because French don't like Bush, and because of the whole French bashing stuff.

[ QUOTE ]

I have found French restaurants to be hit or miss. But when good, a restaurant can have amazing food. How can a foreigner determine which restaurants are good in Paris? (American travel books are pretty bad at this.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way would be to look on Internet forums speaking about travel and food or even here (i remember i suggested a restaurant to a member here and he seemed to liked it).

If you are looking for really expensive restaurant the reference is the guide Michelin http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Red-G.../dp/2067122371

[ QUOTE ]
Why is service so poor in France

[/ QUOTE ]

I regret it but the 'Customer is king' is not part of our culture. But still there are lot of place where service is great, you have to be lucky/search/heard about the place by friends...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Awesome thread, have a few questions.

I'm planning to study abroad in France next fall. I could probably get into most schools, maybe not the very top. Do you have any recommendations? I have taken most of my classes in my major in the US, I just have to take a couple humanities/general classes while I'm in France so a liberal arts school would be good. Do you have any idea of a school I would enjoy? A place with good weather, social/nightlife, and good looking girls would be perfect, doesn't necessarily have to be in Paris.

Also, do you think I will have trouble interacting with the other students? I have taken 5 years of French and am pretty confident in the grammar and vocab but my speaking skills and understanding rapid speech is a work in progress. Do you think I will pick these up quickly, and will I be able to interact? I'm a pretty outgoing guy, basically wondering if I'll be able to make friends with some French girls or if language will be an issue.

Any other tips/customs I should be aware of? Do many people smoke weed?