Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Sklansky-esque super-human question: Memory

I am wondering about the advantages of certain specialized skills, and DS's posts in his forum have got me thinking about some hypotheticals. Here's the first one:

After an explosion at the chemical plant, Joe wakes up the next morning to find he has developed an eidetic memory. He remembers everything and anything without effort. He can recite any book verbatim after one reading, or easily recall any segment you choose. He remembers the name and face of everyone he meets. Etc. The first thing he does is blow away the world record by reciting pi to 250,000 digits.

However, assume his other mental skills are of a moderate level. Say a decent public college education. OTHER THAN doing an explicit "memory man show," how can Joe best use his new skills to:

1) Maximize his income.
2) Maximize his happiness in life.

~M^2
Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Sklansky-esque super-human question: Memory

1. I'm not sure, lemme ponder a bit.
2. If Joe (or anyone) seeks to be useful, they will be happy.

Not to derail, but I'm of the belief that anyone who actively persues happiness will always find it just out of reach. Seek to be useful and happiness follows automatically.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am wondering about the advantages of certain specialized skills, and DS's posts in his forum have got me thinking about some hypotheticals. Here's the first one:

After an explosion at the chemical plant, Joe wakes up the next morning to find he has developed an eidetic memory. He remembers everything and anything without effort. He can recite any book verbatim after one reading, or easily recall any segment you choose. He remembers the name and face of everyone he meets. Etc. The first thing he does is blow away the world record by reciting pi to 250,000 digits.

However, assume his other mental skills are of a moderate level. Say a decent public college education. OTHER THAN doing an explicit "memory man show," how can Joe best use his new skills to:

1) Maximize his income.
2) Maximize his happiness in life.

~M^2

[/ QUOTE ]

He would easily be the greatest medical doctor in the history of the world.

P.S. this is why I think a sophisticated enough computer could easily replace 95%+ of what doctors do today.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Interesting response, because I am going to add:

3) In which profession would he most excel?

I would vote medical as well.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting response, because I am going to add:

3) In which profession would he most excel?

I would vote medical as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides the obviously important interpersonal skills (which probably AREN'T as important as my profs would lead us to believe) being a rapid-access repository of every symptom, sign, condition and disease, as well as the tests associated with each, would make you nearly perfect. Some reasoning ability is probably required, but nothing fantastic. Doctors are imperfect robots with cold hands. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2007, 05:34 PM

I would imagine that integrating and interpreting that information may be a problem if his other mental faculties weren't advanced.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine that integrating and interpreting that information may be a problem if his other mental faculties weren't advanced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. Honestly, he would also have all of the statistical data readily available, as well. So much of medicine is algorithmic, it just doesn't feel that way to docs who think they are 'intuiting' the answers.

I'm not experienced enough with this to be considered an expert, however, so take these statements as my personal opinion as a novitiate.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. Honestly, he would also have all of the statistical data readily available, as well. So much of medicine is algorithmic, it just doesn't feel that way to docs who think they are 'intuiting' the answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I guess we may be disagreeing with the "greatest doctor of all time" definition.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:03 PM

I'd like to rephrase the questions, because "maximizing happiness" may not involve the new skills at all.

1) How can Joe best use his new skill to increase his income?
2) How can Joe best use his new skill to increase his happiness in life?
3) What profession would Joe most excel in?

~M^2
Old 01-11-2007, 07:51 PM

Maybe participating in game shows would be a fun way to maximize happiness and income at the same time. . .

Wouldn't Joe dominate the most in anything having to deal with history? Like a teacher or museum tour guide?