Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: August Monthly [censored] Thread

i made a belt for about 10 bucks by buying some chain and some tubing from home depot...something to consider...

for now since im using weight <45 i try to use dumbbells, and since im short i can usually place them between feet...feel it a bit in the abs when i do pullups this way...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:58 PM

thirddan, thanks for the tip - gonna look into that.

Yeah Thremp I know what you mean. Above a 35 plate and it gets really tough for me. Legs shaking, etc.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 PM

I suspect that any weight you can pull up with, you'll be able to hold it between your thighs-- which is a lot easier than between the feet. I don't really like the weight/chain dangle around my johnson. If you prefer a chain, or your requirement for assistance exceeds the dumbbells, then that's another thing.

Here's some options:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...tedPullups.wmv
Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM

If I wanted to do a routine similar to starting strength, but cannot do squats due to a knee issue (shouldn't be doing a lot of bending movements), how should the program be designed?

Doing deadlifts will be fine I think. So basically, how should I substitute deadlifts for squats in the program? TimM I'm looking at you since you have that practical programming book.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM

blackkeys, are you able to do any kind of knee flexion exercises? lunges or step ups or split squats?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blackkeys, are you able to do any kind of knee flexion exercises? lunges or step ups or split squats?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I can do static holds and [censored] but if the kneecap is rubbing against the leg bone, then no go.

IIRC deadlifts wouldn't be bad for this. I can always try them out and if that irritates me I will stop.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 AM

Quick question: I'm 6'2", 205. If I'm playing/coaching soccer 5 or 6x a week for around 2 hours each day, taking karate classes 4x a week for 1.5 hours each day, and I'm a teacher so I'm up and moving around all day, how many calories do I need to eat to maintain? I'm seeing ranges from 3500 to 6500 and I have no clue what is close to correct.

On a side note, apparently (according to BMI) the "normal" weight range for a 6'2" male is somewhere between 144 and 194, which is just ridiculous. 144!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:47 PM

BPS,

You can't "calc" it accurately. There are far far far too many X factors. Ingest and adjust by 250 each week depending on what happend.

Most of those BMI things are ridiculous. I'm on the border of overweight and stoked about it.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I wanted to do a routine similar to starting strength, but cannot do squats due to a knee issue (shouldn't be doing a lot of bending movements), how should the program be designed?

Doing deadlifts will be fine I think. So basically, how should I substitute deadlifts for squats in the program? TimM I'm looking at you since you have that practical programming book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same issue.

Since a Stairclimber made my knees swell up like grapefruits, I'm thinking that squats are out too.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of those BMI things are ridiculous. I'm on the border of overweight and stoked about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I knew how crappy they were for muscular or heavy set guys but didn't realize how anorexic they say it's ok to be.