Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Dexter

[ QUOTE ]
If this was on HBO, it would've gotten SO much attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Showtime shows have gotten pretty good IMO, hopefully they will start to get that recognition. Between Weeds, Dexter, and the new show Californication I think they are putting together a pretty good lineup.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this was on HBO, the dvd set would've been SO much more expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM

A friend recommended Dexter to me yesterday and I've watched the first two episodes just now. So far so good.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:23 PM

I really enjoyed the first season of Dexter and based on the first two episodes of season 2 it looks like it should be good as well.

The only thing is they NEED to do is recast the black cop. The guy is a horrible actor and the character is basically a cartoon. Every time he opens his mouth he completely takes me out of the show.

Otherwise I love it. Michael C. Hall is great and really elevates the material. In the hands of a lesser actor Dexter could come off as corny and campy - he does a nice job in the lead.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing is they NEED to do is recast the black cop. The guy is a horrible actor and the character is basically a cartoon. Every time he opens his mouth he completely takes me out of the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of like him, actually.

The worst character on the show has to be Dexter's sister. I don't buy the fact that she is a cop. She comes off as a little child-like half the time.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:00 PM

Whoever does Deb is horrible, she really can't act. She's of the Mischa Barton School of Acting Excellence Ever Using only 3 Facial Expressions.

Michael Hall carries this though, he does that creepy thing so well.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of like him, actually.

The worst character on the show has to be Dexter's sister. I don't buy the fact that she is a cop. She comes off as a little child-like half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tolerate the sister as a cop but yeah it is a bit of a stretch. She's way too needy and dependent to have what it takes to do the job. However at the same time she basically had Dexter handing her the case by subtly nudging her in the right direction.

Where her character is truly awful though is with all the relationship stuff - see above re: needy and dependent. She dated Rudy for like 10 minutes and was ready to have his babies. Daddy issues, I guess.

The more I think about it the more I realize how dependent this show is on Hall's performance and also how great of an actor he actually is (and I already held him in high regard).
Old 08-24-2007, 04:34 PM

Agreed!

I hope the Deb character grows into something stronger and more mature (possibly sinister) though, because there is so much room for her to develop.

I think the story arc will reach a natural conclusion with her being the key in bringing down Dexter through the insights that she picked up along the way. That or Dexter has to kill her [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM

I think the story arc will reach a natural conclusion with her being the key in bringing down Dexter through the insights that she picked up along the way. That or Dexter has to kill her

Yeah, who knows... The first season matched the plot of the first book very closely and it looks as though the second season will do the same. The third book "Dexter in the Dark" will be released in September.

I'm not sure if the seasons will continue to follow the novels or if they will eventually break away from the books. The author seems comfortable leaving it is Showcase's hands.

Jeff Lindsay Article
Old 08-24-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first season matched the plot of the first book very closely

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't actually read the first book, did you? There were some HUGE differences.

In the book (spoilers in white):
<font color="white">
- Deborah learns the truth about Dexter, or at least a good percentage of it.
- Rita is almost non-existent in the book
- Dexter lets the Ice Truck Killer go free.
- LaGuerta dies in the book. About midway through, she makes a move on Dexter, which he soundly rejects. After that, she hates him. She figures out there is something not quite right about him and tails him once Deborah goes missing. The Ice Truck Killer ends up knifing her twice, and she dies.
- Deborah isn't dating the Ice Truck Killer.
- The entire scene in the hotel (where Dexter collapses in the pool of blood) doesn't happen in the book.
- Most of the episode plots (as opposed to the overall story arc) don't happen in the book.
</font>