Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Late position

I have read that you should play many more hands in late position. Is that true even when only one early player is in? For instance do I want to play J10,or 86s in late position knowing that my only opponents may be the big blind and an early player with a significantly better hand than mine?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Late position

Way too little information. We don't even know what you're playing, except that it seems to be a variant of hold 'em. We don't know whether the action ahead of you was a limp or raise.

But in general, when in doubt, fold. And you should be in doubt here with relatively weak hands and no additional information.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Sorry about the lack of information. I'm assuming LHE and the early position bettor limped in.SSHE recommends limping late with hands as we a weak as 54s even in tight games. I can understand that you are first in or several people have limped but it's much less clear to me whether your standards should be higher only one early player is in.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:51 PM

Situation becomes a bit more complicated when you have one early limper and you are in late position. Do you raise to isolate, do you limp and hope the blinds come along.

Some hands (small PP's, suited connectors) are easier to play if you have a number of limpers in front. There are some hands that like a lot of opponents, and others than like just 1. 2-3 opponents is a more difficult scenario.

May I suggest you read "Small Stakes Holdem". It's the bible of Limit Holdem. You nned to learn about starting hand "types" and which situations they play best in.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 PM

I have read that book multiple times and learn more. As I read it, it suggests that I play such hands. Perhaps the advantage of position offsets the virtual certainty that the early player is starting with a stronger hand.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:45 PM

I don't recall the hand charts; how does it say to play JT OTB against one limper? Fold, right? If the limper and the big blind are weak tight, then your good position probably compensates for a fairly weak hand because you can use your position to outplay them. But that's really NOT the kind of games Ed is addressing in SSHE.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 PM

The charts don't reflect in most cases how many limpers. Intuitively I would fold opposite and early limper unless they were especially loose but perhaps I am wrong.