Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WRT bar tipping, it should be $1 per drink/beer/glass of wine/etc. You tip the same for the bartender twisting off a bottlecap as you do for the five-minutes-to-prepare flaming Dr. Pepper shot, or whatever. It all averages out in the end.

If someone leaves me $20 on an $18 three drink order, I thank them and move on, though, while internally thinking "ok, kinda cheap, whatever."

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree with both of your assertions here.

1) I think tipping based off of effort makes sense. Let's say it's a crowded bar, two deep, people waiting to order. Hell even if it's not that packed a bartender's attention is probably wanted elsewhere. To go to the trouble of preparing an elaborate drink or shots is more tip-worthy than twisting the top off of three Miller Lites and should be compensated accordingly.

2) In that vein, a $2 tip for a quick $18 order seems VERY reasonable to me. I'm compensating a bartender to the tune of $2 for <1 minute of work, hell probably <30 seconds even if you consider the time he took to come over and hear my order. Multiply this by around 20-30 transactions per hour (accounting for down time and other non-compensatory job duties, this is a conservative figure that's probably higher) and this guy is making a ton of money. To feel indignant about a $2 tip in that circumstance is pretty presumptuous. Particularly in the example you gave, where it's just super easy to hand over a $20 and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, especially with that last situation, the $20 for $18 tab. the guy isn't leaving you $20 instead of $21 because he's cheap, it's because we don't have $21 bills.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A Vegas cabbie told me it was illegal for them to stop on the strip to drop people off/pick them up. Is this true or was he just trying to scam another $0.75 or whatever off me because he "had" to pull into the Bellagio driveway?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure this is true, which makes my cabbie's attempt at scamming me even more pathetitc.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to a bar just because they have $1 drinks, you're not going to be paying $2/drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A Vegas cabbie told me it was illegal for them to stop on the strip to drop people off/pick them up. Is this true or was he just trying to scam another $0.75 or whatever off me because he "had" to pull into the Bellagio driveway?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure this is true, which makes my cabbie's attempt at scamming me even more pathetitc.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, this is true. I saw this on one of the many Travel Channel's Las Vegas' shows about Do's and Don't's. Makes sense. Otherwise, you have a lot of cabs just stopping on the already busy strip.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to a bar just because they have $1 drinks, you're not going to be paying $2/drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I don't get it either, but from what I've noticed about stinkypete he's the very definition of baller and he shouldn't expect his tip chart to be universal.

Bottom line is tip should be for the EFFORT made. The cost is far less relevant. If I order a $125 bottle of Dom (been awhile, that's what they used to cost at bars here like ~10 years ago, I'm sure it's gone up) am I really expected to tip $50 to have it uncorked and presented to me with some glasses? Hell no. The effort would probably earn a $10 tip, slightly inflated since I'm already spending like a damned fool, but if I got a dirty look because I didn't tip a $20 because of what's inside the bottle then I would be pissed. But it would kind of depend on the actual cost - for example if it was $125 and I had $140 in cash on me of course I wouldn't ask for $5 back.

It seems that some people in this thread seem to forget that sometimes tips are affected by the amount of change we're left with after we've paid for something.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WRT bar tipping, it should be $1 per drink/beer/glass of wine/etc. You tip the same for the bartender twisting off a bottlecap as you do for the five-minutes-to-prepare flaming Dr. Pepper shot, or whatever. It all averages out in the end.

If someone leaves me $20 on an $18 three drink order, I thank them and move on, though, while internally thinking "ok, kinda cheap, whatever."

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I think tipping based off of effort makes sense. Let's say it's a crowded bar, two deep, people waiting to order. Hell even if it's not that packed a bartender's attention is probably wanted elsewhere. To go to the trouble of preparing an elaborate drink or shots is more tip-worthy than twisting the top off of three Miller Lites and should be compensated accordingly.

2) In that vein, a $2 tip for a quick $18 order seems VERY reasonable to me. I'm compensating a bartender to the tune of $2 for <1 minute of work, hell probably <30 seconds even if you consider the time he took to come over and hear my order. Multiply this by around 20-30 transactions per hour (accounting for down time and other non-compensatory job duties, this is a conservative figure that's probably higher) and this guy is making a ton of money. To feel indignant about a $2 tip in that circumstance is pretty presumptuous. Particularly in the example you gave, where it's just super easy to hand over a $20 and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuq--no offense, but have you ever bartended? I get where you're coming from, but you're kind of overthinking it. $1 per drink is industry standard, period. I mean, if someone tips me $5 for some complicated drink, great, but I don't expect it or scoff at a $1 tip. Likewise, I don't curse people's names who tip a dollar on three beers, but they definitely will not be the first served when the bar is butts to nuts. People who don't tip well on beers usually don't tip well on other stuff, too.

As far as the $20 on $18 thing, whatever. If all you have is a 20, fine. If you have another single, throw it in there. I know Mbillie's getting railed in this thread, but he was right--just add a buck to every drink price, nits of the world.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Mbillie's getting railed in this thread, but he was right--just add a buck to every drink price, nits of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet vindication
Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bottom line is tip should be for the EFFORT made.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. the whole percentage thing is arbitrary. i might go to some sit down place and order $11 worth of food/drink, get good service, refills, etc. should i be tipping like 15-20% here? no, thats dumb. make it an even $15 at the very least.

at the same time, when you order 2 pitchers of beer at $20/piece a bar there's no reason to tip like 8 bucks. even 5 bucks is excessive.

as for the tipping on $1 drinks thing, that was just an observation regarding what people actually do. i would tip the same i would for comparable service if the drink was $10. but i'm not seeking out $1 drinks, and that's not how people who seek out $1 drinks think - a lot tip 15%, maybe rounding up at the end of the night, and are happy with themselves. because society has dictated that tipping 15% is okay and people are cheap. if you think this isn't the case, go find a $1/drink bar night and watch some people.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My bill was $14.75 and all I had was a $20. When the cashier gets done being a lazy worthless [censored], he asks me if I want my change in one dollar bills. I was still going to leave a tip until he asked that question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you were still going to leave a tip. If so why would this question bother you? People who take breaks are lazy? Redic, your just probably broke not tipping and posting stories to make yourself feel better.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuq--no offense, but have you ever bartended? I get where you're coming from, but you're kind of overthinking it. $1 per drink is industry standard, period. I mean, if someone tips me $5 for some complicated drink, great, but I don't expect it or scoff at a $1 tip. Likewise, I don't curse people's names who tip a dollar on three beers, but they definitely will not be the first served when the bar is butts to nuts. People who don't tip well on beers usually don't tip well on other stuff, too.

As far as the $20 on $18 thing, whatever. If all you have is a 20, fine. If you have another single, throw it in there. I know Mbillie's getting railed in this thread, but he was right--just add a buck to every drink price, nits of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is retarded. you won't complain when the total is $16 and i still leave 20. it evens out. and yes, i'm plenty experienced in the tipping/service industry.

ps, LOL at whoever said that servers at [censored] chains make close to $20 an hour. not nearly that much.