Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Brag: My buddy killed a guy who tried to rob his party

[ QUOTE ]

To get a permit in Ohio is wholly impossible, unless you word for the police or the FBI. In Florida, same story. In California, they make an exception for you if you have tons of money, are an armed body guard, or a celebrity. To get this permit is very very expensive and takes a very long time to take the classes.

Texas is a rare example of allowing this sort of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, Florida difficult to get a permit in, thats a good one. Florida is one of the friendliest states to get a permit in. You have to pass a background check, get finger printed and pass a basic skills course. In fact they have one of the best non-resident permits in the US too. It's valid in over two dozen states. Florida's laws when it comes to protecting yourself, your family or friends are some of the "best" when it comes to your ability to protect yourself in a situation like the one in this thread. There are a number of states that have similar laws.

Check your facts on Ohio too, it's a Right to Carry, Shall issue state.

Permits are only for concealed carry in most states, and most states don't require a permit to purchase a pistol. Federal law requires everyone to have one of those instant background checks done. That just checks that you don't have any felonies on file and it might check if theres any record of you being institutionalized for mental health reasons.

WI and IL deny rights to concealed carry (and possibly more, I didn't dig), CA, IA, NY, MA, NJ, DE and MD restrict the right to concealed carry, but you can get a permit. AK and VT don't even require a permit to carry in any way, you just need to pass the federal requirements to purchase a pistol. The rest are right to carry, shall issue states.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 AM

I have few comments on this. First of all, I don't believe OP knows the shooter.

In the United States, it is generally self defence if you kill or injure someone robbing you or burglerizing your home. My understanding is this stems from English common law and predates the existance of guns. I am not a lawyer or an expert on the subject. The reason is that you can't tell if a person threatening you is only going to rob you. Also, when these standards were developed, felonies were often pushished by death.

Now when someone has forcibly entered your house and has a gun pointed at someone with the purpose of robbery that is a more clear cut case of self defence than if you suprise a burgler. The case that OP mentions would be self defence anywhere in the US and in most other countries. Killing an unarmed burgler might result in prosecution in some states in the US, and apparently in some countries.

Guns are legal in the US. Machine guns and some other heavy military weapons are not. In some places like NYC, it is almost impossible to get a concealed weapons permit. Getz who shot the 4 punks on the subway who tried to rob him was acquited of all assault charges, but convicted of carrying a concealed weapon without a licence.

In some part of the south, west, and upper New England, it is common for people to carry guns, and was more so in the past. Often people carry knives who don't carry guns. I think this was traditional in Europe for men to carry weapons like swords or whatever. In the US guns were sometimes necessary for travelers for protection against Indians, bandits, and wild animals. Also, their was sometimes not much real law on the frontier and people protected themselves.

he right to keep arms is somewhat ambiguously guarenteed by the Constitution and seen by some as potential protection against the government. In Switzerland, which has an even longer tradition of republican government, most men are issued submachine guns as part of their role in the militia to potentially defend the country.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:12 AM

Actually machine guns etc are legal in the US. It's just harder to get the class III license that"s required.

I worked at a gun store/range. People would come in and start with the paperwork for the class III, purchase the weapon, then they'd leave the gun at the range until the proper paperwork was approved(which usually took about 6 months).

What I found interesting was they'd allow the person who was waiting to receive the approval to use the gun on the range whenever they wanted.

I'm a gun owner and have a CCP but I don't agree about this class III deal.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In some part of the south, west, and upper New England, it is common for people to carry guns, and was more so in the past. Often people carry knives who don't carry guns. I think this was traditional in Europe for men to carry weapons like swords or whatever. In the US guns were sometimes necessary for travelers for protection against Indians, bandits, and wild animals. Also, their was sometimes not much real law on the frontier and people protected themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some states have groovy open carry laws if you don't feel like getting a conceal carry permit [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Some states ban open carry completely [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 03:43 PM

totally justified, and im swedish and against pretty much everything related to law and guns in the usa.

i would like to think i had balls enough to do it myself.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 PM

being swedish doesnt excuse the bump
Old 11-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Did the dead hatemonger's friends extract vengance on OP's friend?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did the dead hatemonger's friends extract vengance on OP's friend?

[/ QUOTE ]

lozl
Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe your friend is not going to jail?!?
He killed the guy in cold blood. If the robber made a move with his gun or something it's ok, but he just stood there and mouthed off your friend and your friend just shot him dead. That seems wrong to me and looks like 2nd degree murder.
I'm not sure about American laws but i'm sure you would be in trouble in Canada if you shot someone dead like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at Canadians. Under Canadian law, do you need to assist the Robber in gathering the valuables, or are you permitted to sternly object under proper circumstances?

[/ QUOTE ]

Themandude is just one Canaidan voice. I'm Canadian and can't see anything legally wrong with what the guy did. I mean the robber had a gun to a hostage's head. No jury in Canada is going to convict.

To me the only thig that gives this an odd" feel is the OP putting "brag" in the title. It was the right thing to do, but hardly a "brag."