Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Default I cannot [censored] stand this spot

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t4280)
BB (t2615)
UTG (t2700)
UTG+1 (t2740)
MP1 (t4560)
MP2 (t4760)
MP3 (t6720)
CO (t2550)
Hero (t5840)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t300, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t750) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t1550) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1550) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t800</font>

MP is unremarkable at this point, no reads.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: I cannot [censored] stand this spot

On the river I would set him on:

- Hands that beat you

AK, AJ, KJ, QJ, QQ, 88

- You beat

99, bluff

With two overcards to your tens I think this is a fold.

I also think you missed a chance to take this down on the flop with a raise.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Against a random player, i think i 3-bet here most of the time pre. As played, i think the river is an easy fold on this board.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:54 PM

I hate this spot too. It's probably one of my biggest problems right now, def w/ one overcard out there.

I like the PF call. Doesn't bloat the pot and you could be ahead, and you also hide your hand a little.

I like the flop float. I think to pull the rr you gotta have some kind of read that he'd fold. The c-bet is coming most of the time here, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a hand. He was OOP after all, more likely to have a hand. If you feel it, raise to 1100 or so.

I think on an undercard turn, I also check/call a lot of the time. If villian checks, he's likely to take another stab on the river (maybe 40% of the time) to hope to take it down since you havent shown much strength. I think this line gets more out of him, as opposed to betting to the turn and letting him fold hands you beat and call when he has you beat.

You also get to showdown cheap with a hand you're not sure of by checking turn.

I fold this river because so many things are ahead of us. Like lev said, 99 or a bluff. Especially early on, less likely to be a bluff. If he checks the river, I might try to put in a bet, but I doubt it ever gets called by stuff we beat, so I'd probably just check behind.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:28 AM

I think I would play it the same way and fold river..With no reads the flop c-bet could be just that, so I like the call..Turn I don't see much value in betting...river is a fold imo..
Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also think you missed a chance to take this down on the flop with a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like having to invest ~20% of our stack in this spot in hopes of villain folding
Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 AM

i like a raise on flop u r good most of the time so make the % play and end it on the flop. fold river
Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 AM

fold
Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 AM

I would definitely raise the flop and fold to a 3bet.

As played the only way I ever call this is for information, as I am expecting to lose the pot.

I dont expect too much information here, besides "Yep, he had me" but snapping off a bluff or finding out he thought his 99 was ahead here will be helpful later on in the tournament and you will have plenty of room to play still if you lose.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Raising the flop here seems really bad to me. You're basically turning your hand into a bluff as no better hand folds and no worse hand calls. There aren't even any draws he can put you on to call with 99 or AK or similar.

Personally I like the line hero took (although I might 3-bet preflop occasionally) and would probably call the river. You only need to be good here 25% of the time and against most players the only hands that beat you here are Jx, QQ and 88 (very few people check the turn with AK).

Poker is about making the most +ev plays, not making the play that makes the hand easiest. The only thing you achieve by raising the flop is to make the hand easier to play at the cost of losing ev.