Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Gross spot vs Scotty Nguyen in Macau ME

I would pay this off only to see what he has. The pot odds are too good to fold, and he may be manipulating pot odds to make you second guess why he would be giving you such good odds to call without a monster. Basically, by min-raising, he is giving off an image that he wants to be called. What was your image up until this point? If you played straight-forwardly and was a callish where pot-odds gave you the right numbers to call, Scotty is probably not bluffing. But if he determined that you are a smart player who is going to possibly over-analyze and fold to a faked suck-bet, then a bluff is possible, though still unlikely.

Overall, I would lean towards calling in this situation-- but his play is consistent with QQ or 77.

Seeing that you haven't posted back, I'm assuming you folded? We're all curious as to how the hand went.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:52 PM

His play is not at all consistent with QQ.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:59 PM

People don't give up on the flop then pot the turn into 3 people with air. I'm not saying he's slowplaying a monster, tho live players sure love to do that, but I do think he probably has soemthing like QJ, JJ, or a better ten, or of course a flush/straight draw is also possible (edit: o ya 77 possible too). On top of that the guys behind can occasionally have soemthing, even though it's unlikely, and we're in a bad spot on a lot of river cards. I don't think we turn a profit calling here. From what I've seen of Scotty he seems to play way more straightforwardly than people think with occsional big moves.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:57 PM

bond said he is probably viewed as being pretty aggro at this point, to the people asking.

I hope you folded bond, He sees you as aggro and as someone else said all the draws missed... this is a great spot for him to check a big hand to you as your range contains sooo many draws on the turn, hoping you bet your missed draw. Hes never minraising a worse hand imo. Ive never played with him but I think its pretty obvious he wants a call.. Despite the unreal pot odds I think its a fold
Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 PM

He wants you to call obviously. I just don't know how thin scotty vbets are. I think he would probably min-raise preflop with some random better tens? I prob fold turn, as played you have to call and lose.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:27 PM

what did he end up having, baby?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call. Hate poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

my original thoughts as well
however
starting with 13.5k stacks, spite calling an extra 3k here def hurts a lot, and i think its important to really try to make a read here in addition to just playing the odds.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 AM

Scotty Nguyen tabled 22 then goes "Haha! All you have to do is check to them baaaaby!"

I took out my wallet and asked him if he wanted what was in there as long as i was just gonna pay him off all day.

Live players love the slow play and don't you forget it, no matter how bad the board/situation to do so.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scotty Nguyen tabled 22 then goes "Haha! All you have to do is check to them baaaaby!"

I took out my wallet and asked him if he wanted what was in there as long as i was just gonna pay him off all day.

Live players love the slow play and don't you forget it, no matter how bad the board/situation to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. And lol. 22? lol.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:11 AM

wow, his flop check is somewhat sick for sure but he played the rest of the hand well indeed.