Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: getting fast cars in automatic....

henry17 i dunno if you are just missing the point or what. i am not even saying one is more or less superior. i am just saying just because a car has tiptronic, where it's automatic but you can override with clutchless manual, that does not imply the superiority of manual.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM

I think most people are not considering the OP's class of car, where, the options for automatic tranny aren't in the same class of these super efficient and awesome automatic transmissions people are using as a reference for performance.

[ QUOTE ]

lol, at mentioning VW and Subaru in a fast cars thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, nobody do the favor of asking this guy what kind of car he drives, he obviously is just goating somebody into asking him so he can talk about it.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
henry17 i dunno if you are just missing the point or what. i am not even saying one is more or less superior. i am just saying just because a car has tiptronic, where it's automatic but you can override with clutchless manual, that does not imply the superiority of manual

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I understand. My point is that it wouldn't be an option unless at certain times the manual choice offered some benefit. Nobody engages something that offers zero benefit.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
henry17 i dunno if you are just missing the point or what. i am not even saying one is more or less superior. i am just saying just because a car has tiptronic, where it's automatic but you can override with clutchless manual, that does not imply the superiority of manual

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I understand. My point is that it wouldn't be an option unless at certain times the manual choice offered some benefit. Nobody engages something that offers zero benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is "benefit" could simply mean "prefers"
Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM

you could be like that guy in degrassi who was racing with an automatic (i think jamie), he was a loser
Old 11-23-2007, 02:57 PM

In the type of car you want, a manual would definitely be preferred. The type of cars you are looking at are generally pretty tame until you get to the top of the rpm range.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:40 PM

i like driving manual better. i certainly dont look down on ppl who drive automatic. i think you should learn manual bc a) its useful anyway and can be necessary in a pinch. and 2) you might like it better
Old 11-23-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like driving manual better. i certainly dont look down on ppl who drive automatic. i think you should learn manual bc a) its useful anyway and can be necessary in a pinch. and 2) you might like it better

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really a lot like debating whether chocolate ice cream or strawberry is better. It's a matter of taste. Manual transmissions have a slight advantage in performance and efficiency -- if operated correctly. Autos are easier to drive, especially in stop and go traffic. So it really comes down to what you like best.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:17 PM

I recently had to make this very decision. I purchased an RX8 but I had never driven a manual before. I ended up getting the auto version simply because I couldn't care less about racing or beating someone off a light.

Sometimes I have some mild regrets about not picking up the manual version but really I am more then happy with the speed and power of my auto and the paddle shifters are enough whenever I really feel like doing a bit more.

My suggestion would be to learn to drive a manual first and then test drive both the manual and auto versions of the vehicle your interested in. You may find the performance of the manual more to your liking or you may find it's just way too much hassel and stick with an auto.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol, at mentioning VW and Subaru in a fast cars thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at knowing nothing about cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at driving a VW or a Subaru even if its the fastest car on the planet