Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 AM

Default straight vs. scary river

On the river I figured SB river'd me, what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not my call was justified given the size of the pot. I had PT stats on him, but since I didn't consider them (thought them insignificant for that situation) I will not include them in the post. If he did have trips or top pair on the flop, pretty stupid how he didnt bet the flop.

Hypothetically, if someone had bet the flop do I call, raise, or fold?

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.02/$0.04
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4SB, 4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2BB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>,

Hero?

Results:
Final pot: 8BB
Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: straight vs. scary river

**Grunch by newbie**
I bet the flop.
I raise the turn.

On the river I get pretty weak and call. I think his check on the flop could have been a busted c/r, or the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] gave him a flush draw. With the River card and his range in the small blind, I wimp out.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:54 AM

Probably isn't a big mistake to raise the river but I would hate having to call a 3 bet (can't fold here of course since lots of people can play Ax this way) so I call, often ahead.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:13 PM

bona, the board is 7755x on the river and he donks into us again after betcalling the turn? and you want to raise assuming that we're often ahead?

call the river. other than that nice hand. of course you wouldn't fold the flop, if someone bet, since you have an open ended straight draw.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
**Grunch by newbie**
I bet the flop.
I raise the turn.

On the river I get pretty weak and call. I think his check on the flop could have been a busted c/r, or the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] gave him a flush draw. With the River card and his range in the small blind, I wimp out.

[/ QUOTE ]

paired board and 3 opponents makes betting the flop not so great in this spot ... if pot was 3way easy bet ... but you don't have any information and auto betting here will generally get you into trouble

on the river ... i look it up - but could easily find a fold against the right guy
Old 09-28-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he did have trips or top pair on the flop, pretty stupid how he didnt bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, then he didn't, and you can raise the river against his ace-plus-board.*

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetically, if someone had bet the flop do I call, raise, or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypothetically, it depends on who did the betting, what the action was after they bet, and what you think the likelihood is that Villan's holding a hand that would put you in a RIO situation if you hit (54 isn't out of the question, I'd call 95 pretty unlikely).

*Raising the river is spew. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

Edit: betting this flop is gOOt.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 PM

No sir, my recommend was calling.

I only commented that we would often see Ax and I wouldn't really mind 1 more bet if we didn't have to sweat it coming back reraised.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:54 PM

* grunch, FWIW I only play 2/4 B&amp;M so not sure if these comments apply to this game *

I bet flop, I think there is a real possibility we take it down right there so long as no one has a five. If someone does have a five then hopefully we get one other caller for this to be a break-even bet equity wise.

Turn I raise, we most likely have the best hand here. SB could easily be betting a slowplayed 5, 7, 4, pocket pair or semi-bluffing with straight/flush draws.

River I might be weak, but I think I actually fold. We're only getting 7:1 here so the pot is fairly small. Are any weaker bluffing hands really calling a turn raise after trying to take a stab at taking it down on the turn? I can't remember the last time I folded a straight on the river to only one bet, but I think if there was ever a time this is it.

GcluelessnoobG
Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM

gg, anything other than calling the river is wrong
Old 09-28-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gg, anything other than calling the river is wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

You think we're good here &gt;= 12.5% of the time? I realize there are times where we have to pay off to better hands, especially in big pots. But at my 2/4 B&amp;M table in this small pot I can safely fold this against most of my known opponents without a second thought; a few tricky regulars I might have to think hard about it. Still wrong?