Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Deepstacked at bubble postflop play...need help

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button (t5070)
SB (t3095)
BB (t2960)
Hero (t3875)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, Button calls t450, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1125) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t1125) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t1125) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t1125</font>, Hero calls t1125.

Final Pot: t3375

I have found villian to be a decent player, mostly straightforward, have seen aggression from him/her lately.

I dont see a hand here that folds to a raise that I don't already beat with the A high.

Should I c bet here...I have c bet and took it down once on the bubble already.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Deepstacked at bubble postflop play...need help

I see no reason to not c-bet the flop. I also think taking a shot on either the turn or river is better than what you did here.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:24 PM

just because you have the best hand doesnt mean you shouldnt "bluff" to go ahead and take it down. especially in a SNG and especially OOP.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 PM

Take a stab at it on the flop.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Bet the flop and go from there.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM

I agree, show some strength. Bet the flop, abbout 1/2 - 2/3 the pot.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:18 AM

One of Harrington's requirements for c-betting is that you missed the flop after a PF raise.(V.2, pp. 9-10) This is a perfect hand for it. C-bet and try to take it down now.

Zsa Zsa
Old 08-11-2007, 11:55 AM

I raise to t375 pre.
And please c-bet this .
Old 08-11-2007, 01:42 PM

There are a couple of hands beating you that might fold to a c-bet, but I don't hate checking here either.

Once he checks behind I would lead the turn for sure since you said he's fairly straightforward. You can probably get away with leading the turn with less, something like 400, and not look as weak as if you bet that amount on the flop.

As played I would fold on the river mostly because of stack sizes, plus I don't think you're ahead often enough to call especially once you take in $EV considerations. This might actually be a decent spot as played to make a blocking bet on the river. Maybe not necessary against a straightforward player but since you said he's been turning up the aggression a bit a defensive bet here might work nicely. If he raises it's an easy fold and cheaper than your crying call.

Edit:

I'm not a huge fan of blocking bets. Here is my normal thinking OOP on the river:

<ul type="square">[*]If I'm pretty sure I have the best hand I bet even if it's a thin value bet (especially early on) [*]If I'm not certain I have the best hand, say it's about 50/50, then I'll check/call since you're usually getting at least 2:1 to call. You don't hate if it gets checked down and you're going to pick off additional value from bluffs.[*]If I "might" have the best hand but I can't call a bet of 2/3 the pot or larger then I might lead for 1/3 the pot. The more straightforward and passive villain is the less likely it is I'll actually try blocking.[/list]
Old 08-11-2007, 02:22 PM

I'd lead out for a half pot sized bet on the flop. You probably have the best hand and better hands like 66 and 88 might fold. If you're called you're mostly check folding unimproved. If the flop were KJx then I check because 1)You probably have 7 outs and 2)the flop probably hit your opponent.

This was a pretty safe flop to bet at.

EDIT: how about some advice for the rest of the hand.

I would lead the turn for about half the pot. Hardly anyone checks the flop in position with a good hand. As played, fold the river unless you have a read that villain bluffs alot and even then I fold and find a better spot.