Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Poker and Girlfriends

I've been going out with my girlfriend for about 5-6 years now. We started dating in high school and have been together throughout college. I've lived with her for the past 2 years in college. She always gives me a hard time for playing poker. I play about 2-3 hours a day and take it very seriously. I make pretty good money but she can't seem to respect it. It's probably because gambling is not a traditional form of making money and maybe she just thinks I'm playing to avoid her or something. I've tried explaining to her that I treat it like a job and I try to get in a certain amount of hands per day/month. How do I get her to fully embrace what I do to make money right now? I told her I would start telling her on a weekly basis exactly what I win. She liked that idea, but she still only wants me to play when she is working. That's fine because she'll be working at nights anyway, but it just pisses me off that I am forced to play/work according to her schedule. If this was a regular/traditional job that paid over $100/hr, she would have no problem with me working tons of hours. I was thinking I should make myself a schedule that says what times I'll be playing/studying. Is anyone else in a situation like I am? I need some advice.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Poker and Girlfriends

Seems like she got you by the balls. Seriesly what do YOU want here. Unleass your spening all of her moey on the tables she has no reason to act this way
Old 05-13-2007, 02:58 PM

i know guys like this, they're real soft.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:33 PM

I didn't know that online poker players could have girlfriends.

Online Poker= Revenge of the Nerds.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like she got you by the balls. Seriesly what do YOU want here. Unleass your spening all of her money on the tables she has no reason to act this way

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the opposite. I'm the one that makes the money. She's the one that spends money. Not mine, but I always take her out to nice dinners and whatever. Without poker, I wouldn't be able to take her to [censored]. I think what gets her pissed off is that I play poker in the living room so when I am playing, she can attempt to talk to me and whatever, but I really can't reciprocate b/c I have to concentrate and play. So I guess she feels like I should be available while I am playing to fully communicate, but I feel like I am treating it like I am at work and can't really talk.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Your girlfriend sucks. Get a new one.

-Michael
Old 05-13-2007, 08:27 PM

maybe setup your computer in a more office like environment? even the bedroom would probably be better since it sounds like you need some privacy while playing. i hate being nagged while trying to concentrate.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Most likely you have years of data and tens or hundreds of thousands of hands right? So breifly go over the data with her - show her the high points (break it down monthly or quarterly), look at how many hands you play, your win rate, how your win rate has hopefully improved since last year, etc. Once she sees how on top of the data you are - and that you're a winning player over something more than a few weeks, maybe she'll calm down.

I do NOT think you should agree to keep her posted weekly without at least running her through all the data first. Show her your worst and best weeks at least if you're going to do that so she understands if you lose one week its not the end of the world.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:02 PM

Girls don't understand data. Some of them are idiots, some aren't. This one is. Gone.

-Michael
Old 05-13-2007, 10:03 PM

Women hate whatever you enjoy, so just start acting like you hate it, but need to keep playing for the money. If you fool her she will be ok with you playing.

She is insecure in your relationship and needs to see if you will choose her over poker. So you mite allso want to tell her that reason you hate poker now is because it bothers her.
You must tell us how this works out too.