Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Pocket kings

Hello,
I'm brand new to poker, started playing and reading last week. I've played about 2000 hands total. I would have to rate myself tight/passive. I'm working on the aggressive but I want to know what I'm doing first. So far I'm up about 10 bucks on ps and full tilt .25/.50, but it takes a long time. I tried .2/.4 and it seemed more like a long drawn out game of war, but I don't know what I'm doing yet. I just finished the hand below and wanted to get some feedback on playing it. Thanks for any input. I've lost with kings more than I've won with them.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

The CO is a very tight player, 10-20% hands. UTG is new to the table.

Full Tilt 0.25/0.5 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (11.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>, CO ?, Button ?.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Pocket kings

You've probably lost more than won with your kings because your sample size is too small.

Cap pf. You have second best starting hand.
Give then way you played it, check raise. You most likely have the best hand here.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:09 PM

why did you raise preflop?

why did you just call the preflop 3bet?

what was your plan when you checked the flop?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Welcome to the forum. Understand that your sample size is ridiculous and about the only thing you can tell from it is that you are playing poker and not some other card game.

How many hands are ahead of you pre-flop?
What have you seen CO 3-bet with before?
What have you seen him raise with before?
On the flop what is the nuts? 2nd nuts? What hands beat you? What are the likelyhood of villain having those hands?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:25 PM

I almost allways cap KK pf agaisnt 2 opps. As played I CR the flop. KK the second best hand. It'sto early to fear AA.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:29 PM

When you CAP PREFLOP and LEAD the flop ,villains raises further identify his hand. So your FLOP three bet leads him to a decision. If he was holding AK he likely didn't raise the flop. If he was holding TT+ he likely did raise. If he then caps your flop 3 bet AA starts to look pretty important in his range and IMHO you slow down and call down from there UI. (adjust by read to individual villains of course)

Start playing your KK hands hard. They will be your second biggest winning hand over time.

EDITED TO ADD: This will vary from player to player depending on their individual win rates but over 80k hands my win with KK (in $) is ~65% of my total win in dollars.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Cap preflop and lead the flop.

The CO could be 3-betting pf with quite a wide range AA-TT and AK even if he is tight.

You are ahead of nearly all of that range. In fact you are only concerned about AA or AK if an A falls on the flop.

With a good flop like that (no flush draws possible and straight draws unlikely), you should continue betting.

After leading the flop, I would have 3-bet a raise and only considered slowing down if CO capped the flop or called and then raised my turn bet.

By the way, some of the advice here may occassionally seem harsh, but this is an excellent place for improving your game.

Welcome to the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Tyler and Kerowo are trying to help you to improve your game, by asking you to think about why you would perform certain poker actions like raising etc. For example, I raised preflop to try to limit the field, because KK plays best against few as opposed to many opponents. So try to answer their questions, and then they and other posters can help to correct your reasoning if they think that you are mistaken.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM

Here's the rest of the hand. My question has been answered. I wimped big time. I tried to check raise the turn but that didn't work out and then I went into conservation mode on the river for some reason. I'd only seen him on the river with a pair of queens and AQ suited but I still felt I had him beat on this hand. Just scared to put the money in the pot.

Flop: (11.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (8.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM

oh goodie, another spot for the dog:

also, just2fast, i think you should petition for a name change to just2slow. nice turn and river play with the nuts.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM