Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Suited Connecter -- Theory on how to play them

1)In early position do we come in for a raise if no one has yet to enter a pot with a suited connecter?

<font color="red"> In a tight table with proper Image we can raise.On a loose table regardless to our image coming in for a raise with SC OOP isn't profitable..usually. </font>

2)In Middle position what do we do with a suited connecter when there is 1 limper behind us? 2 Limpers?

<font color="red"> I would limp 54s+ usually with 2 limpers pretty much always </font>

3)In middle position what do we do if there is a raiser who opened from early position or utg?

<font color="red"> If we both are 100BB+ and the raise was ~4xBB I would call it(I'd like to have some information on this guy so if I have not play'd with him I will dump it but if I've played reasonable ammount of hands to know what kind of a player he is I'll call it). </font>

4) From late position/button what do we do if people have limped?

<font color="red"> call obviously or you want to raise?I think there are times players etc. where you raise SC but you should be capable of spotting them in game. </font>

5)From late position/button what do we do if there has been a single raise?

<font color="red"> 100BB+ I'd call it </font>

6)Any other thoughts?

<font color="red"> http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&amp;vc=1 </font>
Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 PM

So would it be safe to say that, in general, suited connectors are good to play for semi bluff value as described earlier by corsakh against 1 or two players or if you can get in cheaply with multiple players - looking to hit a monster?

So if you're the button and you don't think a raise will narrow the field, it might be good to limp in case you hit a nice hand on the flop, otherwise the flop is an easy fold?

Also if someone raises preflop - you're looking for implied odds of at least about 11:1 to call with pocket pairs - what would you be looking at for suited connectors ?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone for contributing.

Why should we be less inclined to play suited connectors if there are calling stations behind us? Wouldn't we want calling stations to call so that that when we hit we get paid off?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you raise with 98s you probably have one of the worst hands at the table. K2o is way better than this.

[/ QUOTE ]Just reading through this old topic but that's not actually true. If you pokerstove it 98s is actually better against a random hand even all in preflop than K2o is. Against a tighter range like any pair AJ+, 98s is even further ahead and multiway it's also way better. Even 98 suited v K2o all in preflop is a coinflip.

So 98s is not just a lot more playable than K2, it is actually a stronger hand.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Above all else suited connectors need 2 things to play well: implied odds and relative position. Neither of these things are easy to get in EP or MP especially at a full table. So considering these things normally your first inclination should be to fold SCs in EP and MP. This starts to change if cbetting is profitable for you at that time, but then the money you make comes mostly from cbetting. The fact that you have a SC starts to become an escape hatch for you rather than primary value.

Relative position is distinct from absolute position. Consider the following. NL100, 100 effective stacks. You are on the SB with 78s. UTG opens for 4, MP calls, LP calls, its on you. Your absolutre position is as bad as it can be; you will be first to act on every poistflop street. And yet you should definitely call. Your relative position is perfect. When the flop comes you will check often, then the UTG player will bet and the 2 players behind him will have yet to act. You virtually have the button here, which is why your relative position is so good.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:17 AM

Certain full 10/9 handed tables have loose-passive dynamics where there isnt a lot of raising preflop and you can see a cheap flop. Peoples post flop skills are bad as well so they tend to lose a lot of chips with lesser holdings, this is a great time to play SC'ers OOP WITHOUT raising.

I think if the table is 6 handed or less and weak tightish, raising with them and c-betting the flop can also be profitable...

I wouldnt open up my raising range with low to mid SC'ers on a stronger table where players will adjust and 3bet you light as well as raise your cbets.

If you have a lot of passive players per flop and u can see a cheap flop playing SC'ers is great from any position.