Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Final tables taking 1/2 as long at 2007 WSOP

How much of a difference do you think it would make if they just made a few simple adjustments, something like freezing the tournament clock immediately as soon as there is an all-in and a call?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The speed of the final table usually has to do with the size of the blinds, and how fast the blinds go up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-17-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In case you missed it, not all the final tables are televised. And the ones that are, are filmed by ESPN and their affiliated companies. Harrahs has nothing to do with the final table nor do they care how long a final table runs. The daily schedule for Harrahs and the WSOP is pretty much from 12pm to 3am every day. People can complain about how horribly the WSOP is run, and blame Harrahs all they want because its obvious that the people in charge of running the event have never played a serious tournament in their life. However they did take the time to listen to the concerns of an advisory board, and did provide the structures to the players on that board well in advance. Its pretty sad that the players we have representing us never took the time to look at the structure sheets and or realize how poor they were.

I would be pretty embarrassed if I was one of the players on this board. It took me about 5 mins of looking at the structure sheets for me to realize how horrible they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard Lederer came up with the structures. Wich makes it even more frustrating I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasn't just Howard, DN had a chance to look them over and basically ignored them in his email. every one on the advisory committee had a chance to look them over and make comments but evidently failed to do so.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:54 PM

Here's the FT set up for the 2K FT today featuring 2p2 super mod Jurollo. From pokernews.

Seat 1: Evan Schwartz - 792,000
Seat 2: Justin Rollo - 772,000
Seat 4: Darryl Ronconi - 662,000
Seat 3: Adam Ross - 346,000
Seat 5: Ben Ponzio - 415,000
Seat 6: Danny Noam - 563,000
Seat 7: David Hewitt - 600,000
Seat 8: Ken Einiger - 1,039,000
Seat 9: Travis Rice - 1,284,000

They're starting at 20/40/5 which means the big stack has 30 BB and a M of about 12. 8 players have less than 20 BB or 8 M. This might break the 5K's record for time because there's more play at the FT of some midstake Stars' guaranteed tournamnet.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:57 PM

this was brough up in a thread last week by doublejoker and on allen kessler's blog www.myspace.com/allenkessler. the limit tourneys are even worse. In the late stages, the payers have only 6 or 8 big bets; meaning one hand and youre out.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:59 PM

Scary that when the $$$ matters most almost all of the "play" is gone.

One MINOR ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) oversight by the committee and powers that be.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I would still give anything to be out tthere playing it seems to me that Harrah's have made some huge errors this year.

Hopefully there will be some attempts to rectify the several problems before the 50k HORSE and the Main Event so that at leats these events aren't spoilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please be absolutely clear that the main event IS the HORSE event. The socalled main event is really the "internet world championship donk event". Sorry but your main {donkament}event structure means nothing when 99% of the players have no clue of any poker concepts.
Sadly most all of the poker public is ignorant of this fact. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I would still give anything to be out tthere playing it seems to me that Harrah's have made some huge errors this year.

Hopefully there will be some attempts to rectify the several problems before the 50k HORSE and the Main Event so that at leats these events aren't spoilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please be absolutely clear that the main event IS the HORSE event. The socalled main event is really the "internet world championship donk event". Sorry but your main {donkament}event structure means nothing when 99% of the players have no clue of any poker concepts.
Sadly most all of the poker public is ignorant of this fact.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:26 PM

This is a problem with every site/structure especially with limit games. Cause you are usually calling till the end, a raise in blind levels in a limit/pot limit structure will grow more exponentially more than NL.

What happens is the first few levels are essentially useless. Of course, this will be changed, and you will see a structure that compensates for this.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of a difference do you think it would make if they just made a few simple adjustments, something like freezing the tournament clock immediately as soon as there is an all-in and a call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would help a bunch. For some reason players love to ham it up at a final table and take forever to make decisions. The final table I was at, we played 9 hands in the first 40 minutes.