Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 PM

Default AA w/ 180BB effective stacks. How\'s my plan for the hand?

Reads:
Villain: has been raising frequently and playing pretty passively post-flop.
Hero: I've been playing position on him for a while - cold-calling his PF raises, floating flops, stealing on the turn. I've hit some hands (trips twice), but he doesn't know that. I've already made a big re-raise against him earlier w/ QQ (he raised to $1 and I re-popped to $4 that time... I took it down on a 9-high flop with a pot-sized c-bet) in a similar situation.

Note that effective stacks are ~180BB.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($32.35)
BB ($9.25)
UTG ($57.25)
<font color="#C00000">MP ($43.60)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($45.90)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $3.75.

Flop: ($9.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $39.1</font>, Hero calls $30.10.

So, how's my line here? I'm also curious about my plan for the hand. I recently read Professional No Limit Hold 'em, so I was trying to think through the hand using SPR and other conceptts. Here was my line of reasoning. This is long, so thanks in advance to those who take time to read it and respond:

Basically, I’m thinking three things:

1. How much will this guy call pre-flop? I know he’s called big re-raises before, so I’m not afraid to scare him off.
2. What’s my max SPR for this guy? Against this guy, my max is probably around 8 or 9 with AA.
3. What’s my target SPR with an overpair here? So, if 8 or 9 times the pre-flop pot is what I think he’ll give me (best case scenario) if we get it all-in, what’s my target SPR - I figure 6 or 7.

I decided my SPR was &lt; 7. That combined with the fact that he's shown he doesn't mind calling large pre-flop re-raises led me to aim for an SPR of about 5. So, I made a re-raise to $4.50. If he calls this bet, there will be $9.35 in the pot. The effective stack size is basically $41.5 (the smaller of our two stacks after the raise and call). So, the SPR is $41.5/9.35 = ~4.5.

Ok, so my plan post-flop with this SPR is simple: get it all-in as quickly as possible.

Basically, a pre-flop SPR of 5 means that if we bet/call a pot-sized bet on the flop, another pot-sized bet on the turn will get us all in. So, that's my plan unless we can get it all in on the flop.

So, I’m basically looking to get it all in on 90%+ of boards. I consider that an awesome flop. If he had KK, we would’ve gotten it all-in pre-flop. And I gotta’ think 33/44 would fold for such a large pre-flop re-raise (even given our large stacks).

He checks, I follow through with my plan and bet the pot. I’m hoping for a call, but a fold is fine (the pot will be almost a buy-in after my c-bet). I welcome a raise because I know he’s frustrated from playing OOP against me for so long. He could make that move with QQ, KQ, AK, a bluff, or he could be donking around with KcJc (very unlikely) or something like that.

Sure enough, he re-raises all-in and I oblige with a call since my plan was to get all-in on pretty much any flop.

Any thoughts on my actual line and my plan are appreciated.

JoshNjuice
Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: AA w/ 180BB effective stacks. How\'s my plan for the hand?

Really isn't much to say, the overbet pre is good if you are confident that he'll call, which you were. Once you get to the flop you should (and did) obviously want to play for stacks even 180bb deep. Well played.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: AA w/ 180BB effective stacks. How\'s my plan for the hand?

Even without this type of history felt it. With it this is perfectly played, nice hand. I expect him to shove AK, KQ like every time and this should be a lot of his range. Then again if he ever has a flush draw here then he also can show up with a set. Who calls like JTs and folds 44 in this spot? Nobody. Both are either instamuck or instacall. Since there are more flush draws than sets, easy call. Unless he always just calls on the draw...