Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Asians & Gambling

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about vietnamese people, but koreans are some of the most materialistic people i know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, very materialistic indeed. All good though.
The Koreans girls in Seoul-WOW! Even with all the plastic surgery and fake Vuittons in itaewon.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 PM

I've grown up around Korean, Taiwanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese Households. From what I've heard the Korean Culture is incredibly materilistic and sometimes shallow, Some of the things my friend told me about how the family would only care about the cute kid and the rest would be ignored. I don't know how I got on this topic, but during my teenage years my korean friend would gamble in our poker ring, probably lost 2-4k in 4 years or so, losing every night. Now he's an online pro that hates poker, but uses it to make a living, Another friend down the street Vietnamese and his brother and his little brother would always be down for big money blackjack, jacks or better, even holdem recently. Seemed like they had the gamble in there blood, and they were all in all good, not really action junkies, logical approach. Even there parents hit the boats every other week. My Taiwanese friend doesn't really gamble and my Chinese friend plays limit once in a while.

I loved playing in vegas at the mgm grand, the 40 year old vietnamese guy was always talking smack and I enjoyed the action.

And you can't dismiss the logical mathmatical mindset a lot of asians have, I know it goes completely against the loose play we speak of, but you also have to consider they usually work 4x harder then us ylow's in school or as my korean friend would get beat by whatever golf club his dad needed to work on.

Oh and I remember back in the day, i brought over some computer games, and my Taiwanese buddies dad broke them because he should be playing games he should be studying.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:03 PM

With those whole body burqas that the women wear in some countries I'd have to say that Muslim women are the most materialistic...even if being lippy is their biggest of an evening!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 PM

Um, biggest gamble of an evening.
/ fluffed joke
Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM

I will never ever bluff an unknown asian
Granted there are some tight asians but until proven otherwise I will assume they arent bluffable

If you read Ian Andersons Buring the Tables in Blackjack he speaks of trying to imitate asian behavior at the Blackajck tables to avoid heat for counting. He points out that numerology is a big part of their culture (certain numbers are good luck and certain are bad) He also says it would be almost impossible for an asian to get caught counting cards as most asians bet wildly for no reason whatsoever anyway.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 PM

asians rock
Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 PM

Just a few comments (I'm Korean American FWIW):

- I thoroughly enjoy prop bets and poker, but never play -ev table games.

- A large portion of my enjoyment in gambling comes from the competition involved with poker and knowing other people are losing money because of me. Sometimes I think to myself I would pay Full Tilt thousands of dollars to put an absurdly sick 1 outer beat on certain people.

- I think I have the tightest pre flop numbers of all the FT 6max 1/2 regs, and also play tight in live games unless I'm drunk or tilting.

- My white parents (I'm adopted LDO) have no history of gambling, and I was consequently almost never exposed to gambling of any sort growing up.

edit: I am also extremely materialistic
Old 04-16-2007, 12:28 AM

beat: finally finished reading all of this thread.
brag: none
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
beat: finally finished reading all of this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
beat: read a couple of posts in this thread
Old 04-16-2007, 02:17 AM

I'm American with Vietnamese ancestry. I was born in MN.

Anyways, Vietnamese people almost always gamble in social gatherings. If, they're Catholic or Christian, they don't gamble nearly as much as say someone who is a practicing Buddhist or athiest.

All the dominate Vietnamese poker players seem to have immigrated here. This doesn't look good for me!