Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Folding overpair to board for small river bet

How bad did I play this hand...

This is the final table of a two-table SNG tournament, $22 buy-in. I have no reads on villain.

The reason for not raising preflop is fairly terrible: The deck had hit so I had been raising like the last 5 hands with hands like AQ, KK, etc ... so I was afraid someone would make a move on me and I would be afraid to call. Should I just lead out and call a reraise?

How bad is folding the river here?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
roggles: t6280
UTG+1: t4287
CO: t2530
Button: t3840
SB: t5500
BB: t4563

Pre-flop: (6 players) roggles is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
roggles calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>, 3 folds, SB calls t100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t500)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t600, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t200</font>, BB calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t800)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">roggles raises to t900</font>, SB calls t700 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1900)</font>, BB folds.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t2600, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t200</font>, roggles calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2800)</font>.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t3000, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t800</font>, roggles folds.
Uncalled bets: t800 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: t3000
Old 11-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Folding overpair to board for small river bet

Raise preflop. Being seen as very active is even more of a reason to raise &amp; be happy to call a shove, because you'll get played back at by more worse hands than normal and raise/calling/losing to QQ+ is fine with JJ here.
As played on river I don't fold. Pot odds too good, and I've seen players turn up with all kinds of hands taking this line. It's a bad way to play a worse hand but it's also a bad/unlikely way to play a better hand.
Turn is interesting as well, I guess calling can't be wrong but I always want to raise those bets..
Old 11-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Folding overpair to board for small river bet

yeah this is pretty bad. if they think you're a maniac they'll never give you credit for jj, so just raise it and snapshove over a 3-bet. i probably raise the turn since his bet is super weak and then reevaluate the river if he calls. as played, i can't imagine why you'd ever want to fold this river. they view you as being aggressive, and sb is making such obvious blocking bets that he's basically screaming that he wants a cheap showdown. i think you see 9x here like every time since 2 pair would probably 3-bet flop and a 6 would bet more on the end.