Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Default Re: poker pro - hardest job there is?

[ QUOTE ]
I can teach almost anyone how to make $100-150k a year playing poker in a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think this. Then I tried it a couple times. I quickly found there are a few innate prerequisites that I took for granted. Some people don't have enough emotional control/tilt too hard to ever win consistently. Some people have no motivation to study/work on their game. Certain personality types are simply unable to succeed in poker.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can teach almost anyone how to make $100-150k a year playing poker in a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that for a second. Think of all the people who have tried expert coaching, watching videos, posting to 2+2, and playing every day and still whine about breaking even at 0.10/0.25NL. Or, the guys who get past the basics but spend their entire poker career going on tilt and blowing their bankrolls every other month because they don't have the mental fortitude or clarity of mind to recognize a -EV playing situation. I don't even think sbrugby or cts could make the kind of claims you're making.

[/ QUOTE ]

My claim is based on having done it 4 times and having a friend who has taught 2 people as well. Now I realize 6 people doesn't make a scientific study but being 6-0 is still pretty good evidence.

There was one person that I considered teaching who I think would have failed because he lacked emotional control (mostly aggression and anger). So people like that couldn't but I think most adults have control over their emotions. That being said the more I read about people being addicted to poker and daydreaming about poker the more I question my assumption that most people have control over their emotions.

I also assume the individual will have sufficient funds to play mid limit. Playing micro limit is a waste of time.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to think this. Then I tried it a couple times. I quickly found there are a few innate prerequisites that I took for granted. Some people don't have enough emotional control/tilt too hard to ever win consistently. Some people have no motivation to study/work on their game. Certain personality types are simply unable to succeed in poker

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually is true. When I say anybody I should really limit it to people of average or better intelligence who have good emotional control. I think that covers most of mainstream society and that you can quickly judge if someone has those qualities simply by looking at their achievements to date.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This actually is true. When I say anybody I should really limit it to people of average or better intelligence who have good emotional control. I think that covers most of mainstream society and that you can quickly judge if someone has those qualities simply by looking at their achievements to date.

[/ QUOTE ]

does not compute
Old 10-31-2007, 12:10 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think traditional "intelligence" is overrated when it comes to poker potential. My GF plays full-time and will make $100K this year, and she didn't crack 1000 on her SATs.

Emotional control and being able to manage your roll correctly are far and away the most important qualities IMO.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 AM

There was a study done where it was found people with brain injuries or certain brain injuries were more successful investors than "normal" people because they were less risk averse.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Emotional control and being able to manage your roll correctly are far and away the most important qualities IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I got control over my emotions, poker became a very easy job. I can make close to 100K/yr mostly on autopilot. Yes, I am playing below my theoretical win rate by a good bit but I take a lot of breaks for vacations and other opportunities. When I play for a couple months straight, I move up and do well but otherwise I hover at mid-stakes where I have a healthy win rate which controls variance. Whether poker is easy or hard depends on your personality. For me getting up early and working 9-5 in an office, making the same small talk with the same people I didn't particularly like, that was hard.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:53 PM

LOL selection bias posting this on a poker forum.

It is very hard though. The "autopilot" people talk about can only be obtained through extensive hard work and one can never be truly on autopilot like you could at most other jobs.
The fact that you can actually lose money is pretty important, and while it isn't the hardest job in the world, it takes a certain type of person to handle the myriad factors involved in professional poker playing, while most people could half-ass their way through the vast majority of occupations at least well enough to not get fired
Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There's an economic balance in the world where people are paid a suitable amount based on the difficulty of their job.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP obviously has no understanding of how basic supply and demand apply to the job market, and more generally zero understanding of the real world. Oh wait, I knew that when I saw the thread title.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There's an economic balance in the world where people are paid a suitable amount based on the difficulty of their job.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!
I must have missed this. This is truly one of the most naive statements I have ever heard from someone who is ostensibly an adult.

This, of course, doesn't mean the opposite is true. Yes, a doctor is a highly difficult job compared to someone at McDonalds. And yes, doctors make more money and deserve to.