Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Hillary: Lunch in D.C. Donation \'Contest\'

First there was Obama (I know DW we disagreee here) and now there is Hillary'a 'Lets Do Lunch' campaign donation 'contest' / lottery.

To me, this is a lottery, no different than the one ran by my state of W.V. Buy a ticket and take a chance to win the prize.

Anyway, from an E-Mail: "We're going to choose one supporter to come to my house in DC, along with a guest, to share lunch and talk. And if you contribute between now and midnight Friday, September 7, it could be you."

The link and notice the designation in the URL 'lunch'which designates this contribution from regular contributions.

contribute.hillaryclinton.com/lunch.html?sc=1321&ta=&utm_source1321& utm_medium=e

(the https:// removed from link)

Seems the Dems like gaming, at least online lotteries.

How about we send an E-Mail campaign ASKING her stance on Online Poker?

http://hillaryclinton.com/help/contact/

my letter:

Senator,
Thank you for the chance to enter your online lottery contest to have lunch with you.
Though it is a nice offer, I am more interested in simply knowing your position on allowing me to play Poker on the internet in the privacy of my own home, the same as you are allowing me to enter your online lottery in the privacy on my own home.

If you positions are the same, I will gladly enter your online lottery, if not, can you please explain the difference?

obg
Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Hillary: Lunch in D.C. Donation \'Contest\'

i don't like the idea of lumping the words "lottery" and "poker" together, but its an idea i suppose.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 PM

This is a clear violation of the UIGEA and she should be prosecuted along with the payment processor.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Whats the difference between a lottery and a raffle?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Much the same, the important point here, it is being conducted Online in Interstate Commerce.

obg
Old 09-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Plenty of poker players "donate" online every day, is that also an act of political speech ?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:05 PM

what?

obg
Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM

How can you be 0 for 2 on these silly posts? First with the Obama campaign, where it is more reasonable to assume that the "winners" of the contest are chosen based on the contributor's demographics and self-described "story."

Now with the Hillary campaign, you did not read the Official rules and restrictions. If you did you would see that "No purchase or contribution necessary to enter."
Old 09-04-2007, 07:22 PM

It may be free, however, the come-on is 'make a donation' and enter.

Folowing is the entire e-mail sent to all who ask updates from the campaign (NO, I am not a fan, simply keeping up):

Dear XXXX,
Let's do lunch. Let's talk, you and me -- about whatever you'd like. Our hopes. Our goals. Our work. The weather. Maybe even politics.

I think it would be fun to have you over for lunch, at my table, in my home in Washington. You and I both know that we need a serious change of direction in this country. So let's sit down for a meal and talk about exactly the best way to make that change a reality.

Of course, that change can't happen if we don't win. So I'm asking you today to demonstrate your commitment to real change by supporting my campaign with a contribution. We're going to choose one supporter to come to my house in DC, along with a guest, to share lunch and talk. And if you contribute between now and midnight Friday, September 7, it could be you. <emphasis added>

Click here to make a contribution.

My favorite part of being on the campaign trail is talking to people one-on-one, in their homes or their workplaces, learning about their lives and the challenges they face every day.

I recently had a chance to share dinner with Las Vegas nurse Michelle Estrada and her family in her home. We talked about her long hours at work and her concerns for her daughter, who is heading off to college this fall. (I sure remember that feeling!)

I had such a wonderful time eating, talking, and laughing with Michelle and her family. There's so much I want to do as president for families like Michelle's: help them pay for college and protect the basic American dream of owning a home.

Now I want you to come to my home, share a meal, and tell me about your life, your family, your concerns, and how we can work together to change America.

But first I need to ask for your help. I cannot win this race without you, without your support and your commitment to our campaign. There is no better way for you to get involved today than to make a contribution to my campaign.

If you contribute by Friday, you might just have lunch with me at my home in Washington. <emphasis added>

I wish I could invite every single one of the more than one million people who are supporting my campaign -- but I don't think you'd all fit!

Besides, we're building this campaign through person-to-person contact -- not just the conversation I hope to have with you, but also the conversations you have with family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers everyday. Together, we're making history.

Will you help my campaign make history today? Make a contribution by Friday, and you and I might be sharing a meal. <emphasis added>

I'm really looking forward to this conversation. I'll pick up the groceries before you get there. Let's sit down and talk about how to change America!

Sincerely,

Hillary Rodham Clinton

P.S. Labor Day is when the campaign hits high gear -- we have entered THE critical phase of this campaign. I know you're ready for change, so let's work together to make it a reality. Please make a contribution today.

[ QUOTE ]
How can you be 0 for 2 on these silly posts? First with the Obama campaign, where it is more reasonable to assume that the "winners" of the contest are chosen based on the contributor's demographics and self-described "story."

Now with the Hillary campaign, you did not read the Official rules and restrictions. If you did you would see that "No purchase or contribution necessary to enter."

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, the FINE Print tells you that an entry can be made free, .......

However, is that the come on? You read the e-mail in total above, then let me know.

obg

PS - IM me an e-mail address and I will forward it to you for accuracy.
obg
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM

Sorry, too oblique ... ignore it, I was thinking out loud about why a clearly gambling transaction might be deemed ra political "donation" instead.

I, personally and not in a company capacity, was invited to two fundraisers this weekend for a Dem candidate, but it would be a gambling transaction, probably, for me or anyone to sell chances to go in my place. .... even if all the proceeds were ultimately donated to the Candidate.