Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Probability Question for David Sklansky

good resolution imo
Old 05-13-2007, 01:25 AM

When I read your original post it reminded me of this.

Jamie Escalante

"In 1982 he came into the national spotlight when 18 of his students passed the Advanced Placement calculus exam. The Educational Testing Service found these scores to be suspect and asked 14 of those who passed to take the exam again. Twelve of the 14 agreed to retake the test and did well enough to have their scores reinstated."

"1988 saw the release of a book Escalante:The Best Teacher in America by Jay Mathews (ISBN 0-8050-1195-1) and a movie Stand and Deliver detailing the events of 1982."

The inference in the movie and the book was that the students not only did very well but got the same questions right and the same answers wrong.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love my job too much, and I love my hottie wife even more. Not gonna happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boro is well known for having the second hottest 2+2 wife. (although this will remain urban legend since I won't post pics)
Old 05-13-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see. Still seems pretty ridiculous that he would assign problems that students could potentially already have the answers to. But I guess if I were a professor and I got paid the same regardless of the amount of time I put into work, I'd probably just use someone else's problems also.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason to expect an undergrad to have access to the Jackson solutions manual. He also instructed the students explicitly on what materials they were allowed to consult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, what is the call on whether the student was cheating on the homework assignments?

Specifically, since (at least at my school) homework assignments usually allow use of outside resources that arent other students (ie. internet, etc) it seems he would be allowed to use the other book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Copying solutions out of the solutions manual is considered cheating at my institution; it's something we have to deal with all the time with the non-majors, but I've never heard about it with majors before.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, once you get to the exam where it was likely most outside resources were forbidden, he is toast.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-13-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see. Still seems pretty ridiculous that he would assign problems that students could potentially already have the answers to. But I guess if I were a professor and I got paid the same regardless of the amount of time I put into work, I'd probably just use someone else's problems also.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason to expect an undergrad to have access to the Jackson solutions manual. He also instructed the students explicitly on what materials they were allowed to consult.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you have a take home test that is not open-everything? People are going to cheat, period. There is no reason not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a big reason not to: if you get caught, you get punished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:18 PM

But the only way you'll get caught is blatant plagarism, correct? If this physics student wasn't retarted, he would have read the solutions manual, understood the problem and how to get the answer, and then done the problem himself. This is still cheating, but it is completly undetectable.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the only way you'll get caught is blatant plagarism, correct? If this physics student wasn't retarted, he would have read the solutions manual, understood the problem and how to get the answer, and then done the problem himself. This is still cheating, but it is completly undetectable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, assuming that there isnt an error in the solutions manual that he would copy, then yes, this seems like its a ticket to an easy A for a non-retard.