Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Good interview with Barry G

[ QUOTE ]
My god this guy is an ugly mofo. Looks like a monkey/an ape. I guess the Asian chicks think all the "white" guys look the same. Barry realized long ago that its +EV to go after Asian tail. Smart guy!

[/ QUOTE ]

BG is nice enough to show up here and post regularly (if not frequently). With these sorts of people around you have to wonder why he bothers. (For instance, he completely rectified a profound and prevalent misunderstanding of short stacking in limit hold em with just one quick post.)

I take it you assumed you were talking behind his back, like a real 45 year old man? Real class act.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
although i dont feel he is the best player in the world, he is certainly the player i respect most

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 AM

Barry's got game.......period.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:35 AM

This is y Barry G was always my fav. he was about more than just winning money, def. my hero in poker and in life. I dont have to many heros, he is one of mine though.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:52 AM

1. The differences from my book and others that I was thinking about were:
Most books preach a weak-tight strategy and talk about only losing a certain number of buy-ins each session. These poker philosophies are good starting points, but I talk about how to play and how to manage sessions once you become a winning player.

2. I did this interview on a dinner break after staying up all night the previous night, playing in the side games. I saw pictures of myself from that day that looked pretty bad, so I got my beard trimmed and my girlfriend colored my hair to hide the grey. Also, my skin looks pretty bad on this video. I think it is a combination of bad lighting by them and aging by me.

Barry
Old 07-06-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Love Barry, did not love his book. I think it appeals to people who have more leaks in their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...I think Barry's poker game is YEARS!!!!!!!!! above mine...but I think my "game outside the game" is way stronger.

But.... [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Barry
Old 07-06-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. I did this interview on a dinner break after staying up all night the previous night, playing in the side games. I saw pictures of myself from that day that looked pretty bad, so I got my beard trimmed and my girlfriend colored my hair to hide the grey. Also, my skin looks pretty bad on this video. I think it is a combination of bad lighting by them and aging by me.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Replying to the ignorant who choose to insult your looks might be empowering them. I read all the posts on this thread before watching the video. You looked fine.

If anything I'm intrigued to get a copy of his book. Which I'll actually read unlike my PH How to Play Poker Like the Pros.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 AM

Barry rules.

The book was very good. It was obviously about poker life as much as anything else, but what strategy it had was very interesting.

I'm sure Barry can put that one ridiculous post in perspective here, but I just wanted to be one more person drowning out that moran wurstkickel.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 AM

I've always been impressed with his demeanor at the table when I watch him on TV. Sure he's out to win money, but he seems to really take bad beats well and if he wins, he doesn't rub it in.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The differences from my book and others that I was thinking about were:
Most books preach a weak-tight strategy and talk about only losing a certain number of buy-ins each session. These poker philosophies are good starting points, but I talk about how to play and how to manage sessions once you become a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to correct a couple of things you said. First off, I've been in the writing and publishing of poker/gambling books for over twenty years and no book that has ever been put out under the Two Plus Two label has ever advocated a weak-tight style or strategy. In fact, in the first edition of HPFAP which came out in 1988 we were critical of what we called "weak-tight" and popularized this expression among poker players. (I first heard this term from Ray Zee and also believe that it's appearance in our book was the first time it was put in print.) In addition, my Gambling Theory and Other Topics, which was first published in 1987 is based around "Non-Self Weighting Strategies" which is the exact opposite of weak-tight.

Also, I want to point out that you were not the first very high limit player to ever write a poker book all by himself. I think that Ray Zee might disagree. High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players was originally published in 1991. Also, Harrington on Hold 'em, Volume I came out about six months before your book.

MM