Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 PM

Default anyone have any clue what\'s causing this problem?

about a week ago, my computer was working fine, but i decided to reformat since i hadn't done so in awhile.

so after i reformatted, i had a strange problem. about 90% of the time i tried to load a web page, i'd have to hit the refresh button 50+ times before it would load. i wouldn't get the typical "could not connect" page, but instead it would load for a split second then go dead and display a blank page. when i reset my router or cable modem, it would work fine for about a minute, but then go back to not loading

i figured i picked up a virus before installing my AV (NOD32) and firewall (norton personal firewall, thinking of switching to kerio though). everything was fine for the first few days, but now every once in awhile the internet seems to go dead again, and i have to keep hitting refresh, though now it's only 5-10 times, rather than 50+. however, it's getting progressively worse

aim works fine, and so do pokersites. it's only web pages and postgre that are giving me problems

a side effect is i get a postgre error message sometimes, from pgadmin (postgre) pokertracker, pokerace, and sixthsense:

"could not connect to server: No buffer space available (0x00002747/10055) Is the server running on host " 127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"

postgre said to change listen_addresses in one of the config files to * and i did that, but it didn't help. i also added port 5432 to the list of accepted ports in my firewall. again, no luck

i also get a "connection dead" error from PT at times, rather than the above message.

everything usually works after i go into pgadmin and try to connect a a few times, or in pt if i try whatever i'm doing a few times. this leads me to believe that my connection just briefly goes dead at times.

i've tried turning my firewall and AV off and i still sometimes get the error message

a side note is i found a virus svhhost.exe, and deleted it yesterday. is there any chance that it did some damage that i can only repair by reformatting again?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: anyone have any clue what\'s causing this problem?

[ QUOTE ]
about a week ago, my computer was working fine, but i decided to reformat since i hadn't done so in awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about your problem but this isn't the best idea.

I'd make sure you have downloaded all the patches and whatnot that your browser and other software was at prior to the reformat and see if that helps.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about your problem but this isn't the best idea.

I'd make sure you have downloaded all the patches and whatnot that your browser and other software was at prior to the reformat and see if that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

i probably had really old versions of this stuff. go back and find old versions of the browser? what will that help?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:22 PM

I think the problem is that you took a system that was at a steady state; all your apps had been updated or patched to versions that worked together and then you wiped it clean and started over. Now you have no idea what versions of what are stable together and you're basically starting from scratch.

If you did a full backup before reformatting then did a full restore nevermind...
Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem is that you took a system that was at a steady state; all your apps had been updated or patched to versions that worked together and then you wiped it clean and started over. Now you have no idea what versions of what are stable together and you're basically starting from scratch.

If you did a full backup before reformatting then did a full restore nevermind...

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't know it was possible that that type of thing could happen. and no, i didn't do a full backup [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] just wiped it clean, copied back my desktop and my docs folder, and dl'ed all my programs again

the weird thing is starting this morning, i'm having the same problem on my laptop, which was previously working fine. i'm starting to wonder if it's mabye the connection itself. i was having issues with it a couple of weeks ago too, though the problem was it wasn't connecting at all back then
Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 PM

My internet just started doing this, it does it ALL THE TIME. Only on my desktop though, just started happening, no idea what changed, but it was nothing in the area of a reformat, just started happening. My laptop that I just got does not have this problem.

Its been very very annoying as its just a chore to look up stuff or browse or do anything IE related on my desktop. By the way, I downloaded and installed Firefox and it does the same thing. Any help on this would be great as I've spent a great deal of time googling and can't find a specific case like mine or a resolution. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2007, 09:17 PM

bump
Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 AM

I haven't made any changes on my comp recently and have been having the same exact problem.

I wasn't able to find anything through google, came here, found your post and was pretty surprised to see my exact problem.

No idea what's causing it.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't made any changes on my comp recently and have been having the same exact problem.

I wasn't able to find anything through google, came here, found your post and was pretty surprised to see my exact problem.

No idea what's causing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be compatiblity issue (despite the fact you say you have not made any changes lately though OP had) or software. Boot up in Safe Mode (either by repeatedly pressing F8 on boot up or by going through start>run>msconfig>boot.ini clicking safeboot box). If you can use IE no problems then it is software compatiblity if you cannot use IE then it is hardware.

Go check it out boys. I really hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

so after i reformatted, i had a strange problem. about 90% of the time i tried to load a web page, i'd have to hit the refresh button 50+ times before it would load. i wouldn't get the typical "could not connect" page, but instead it would load for a split second then go dead and display a blank page. when i reset my router or cable modem, it would work fine for about a minute, but then go back to not loading

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have this exact same problem. I'd have to disconnect my modem then wait, and it would work for another couple of minutes to an hour, if lucky, then would lag once again and would lose internet access.

Called my telephone company to check it out, they apparently found humidity in one of my telephone jacks, which was giving the modem problems. Once fixed, modem and comp works great now.

Might not be same problem, but good to check it out just the same. GL.