Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: My Story regarding the San Diego Fire- long

you'd be surprised then at how fast houses burn, and your only thoughts are to get everybody out safely. My daughter grabbed her album collection [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] while Jimmy and I just got the animals out and freaked out waiting for her. The fire absolutely ROLLS in waves and the smoke makes it very dangerous.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Glad to hear you are safe, and your house too. Hopefully, you'll get back in soon.

We evacuated Monday night but the fire never got closer than a few miles, and were able to get back in last night. The process of "what do I take and what do I leave" is an interesting one - and one I hope none of you ever have to go through. But basically, you wind up taking (1) key papers and documents, including cash, passports, etc., (2) medicine and personal care items, (3) photos and small mementos that can't be replaced, (4) some basic bedding if you can fit it in the car, and (5) a reasonable amount of clothes. If you have kids, it's best to let them pick out the stuff that's important to them - you'd be surprised at how little they actually decide to take, but it gets them invested in the process. I spent Monday taking about 100 digital photos of our house and belongings, and we packed up the mementos etc. expecting the order to come, and when it did, were out the door pretty fast.

In the end, a house is just a building you live in; home is wherever your family is at the moment.

I will say that the whole community in San Diego really pulled together, and that the firefighters did a great job, and the authorities (and citizens) managed the evacuation and repopulation very well with very little disruption.

Good luck to the OP and thanks for posting your story - please let us know when you get back home.

Cheers
Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 PM

Glad to hear everything is as good as it can be on your end. I've been eagerly awaiting this update as I'm still in shock that you were involved. I'd be interested in seeing some pictures if you have time to throw them up.

If you need anything, if I have anything to give, don't be afraid to ask.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:01 AM

Crazy story. Thanks for sharing. GL!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:11 AM

Thanks for sharing, glad you guys had a plan and stuck to it - it makes a world of difference.

Be sure to report in when you get back home. I've personally never seen a wildfire or anything, pictures would be neat.

Do you think watering the house down is what kept it from completely burning?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM

crazy story, good read.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Thanks for writing.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM

this was a good read. thanks for sharing man
Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 AM

Until you have seen a fire move in high winds it is unbelievable... soo fast..

Hope the house is OK Good Luck and thanks for sharing.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Wow, what a read.

I am just down the hill in Poway. We lost 70 homes last I heard, and had two people burn to death in their home. Rancho Bernardo is to my immediate north, and last I heard they lost around 300 homes.

We never evacuated, even when our neighbors knocked and said they just got a call from the sheriff telling them to leave. I had a good feel for where the fire was and didn't feel it was necessary to leave until specifically told to do so. The maps on television kept showing us as under mandatory evacuation, though, so maybe I'm dumb for staying. Just didn't want to have to go through the ordeal of evacuation unless we had to. I did have everything packed and my truck pointed out of the driveway.

The packing process is indeed a difficult one. Also having gone through the Cedar Fire, we were relatively prepared. Sunday night when it became obvious this was another bad one, I ran around the house taking pictures of rooms and closets for insurance purposes. Monday morning I told my 10 year old daughter to pack her very important things. It was indeed a small amount of stuff. On the top was a teddy bear she inherited from her Mom, which was pretty touching.

Some acquaintances of mine lost their house, and it swept through so quickly that they were out at some kind of reunion when it happened, so they were not able to pack things up or get anything out. They had the clothes on their backs, purse and wallet, and that's about it. They also had four dogs locked in the house, but apparently someone made it up there and opened the door and they have been able to find three of them. My friend, once he heard, snuck past the barricades and made it up to his house, where this guy dropped him off and told him he would come back. He never did. So, my friend was literally running down a street with flames on both sides, when his friend found him because he had come to look for him. They hauled ass out of there and to safety. Pretty scary stuff.

It has been a really long week, and I feel very much for those who have lost their homes. It will take awhile for San Diego to feel "normal" again.