Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Leaving / Changing tables when you are multi-tabling??

If you are multi-tabling micro-stakes games (or any game for that matter) -- when should you switch tables?

I had four 10NL tables open on PokerStars, and took down two monster pots in a row on one of the tables.

I went from the $10 buy-in to over $35 in about 20 minutes.

I took the money and ran!! Later I wondered if that was the right move. I felt like such a huge win in such a short time was pure variance -- so be happy and leave before the laws of averages catch up to my lucky a$$!!

Relatively new to 2p2 -- so i would appreciate some of the collected wisdom, please....
Old 02-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Leaving / Changing tables when you are multi-tabling??

Don't you worry, variance will catch up to you sooner or later and table chaning is not going to help. I leave the table when:

1) the table dryes out - 3 players left / half the players are shortstacks.
2) I am very deep and I don't feel comforatable at this level.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 PM

You leave the table when:

1) It's -ev to stay
2) If dynamics change, maybe it changes from 6handed to 3handed

You shouldn't leave when:

1) The fish keep giving you their money
Old 02-19-2007, 04:36 PM

It's OK to leave if you're uncomfortable playing deep. (For that to be the case your opponents have to have stacks as well.) However, you should strive to become comfortable with deeper stacks since it's more profitable vs. poor competition.

In many cases leaving when you're winning is a bad idea because it might indicate that you're playing well or your opponents are playing badly, in which case you should stay in the game for as long as you can.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:15 PM

In addition to table dynamics like pointed above, I try to set a limit and say "if I drop to this point I'm leaving" that way I can try to ride the wave a bit longer but not lose it all back.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:22 PM

My problem is I actually find it difficult to switch tables when they are kinda crappy, when I am playing 6+ tables it is hard to figure out which ones are crappy and to switch them up.

You really shouldn't leave just because you are up, unless you are uncomfortable playing deep, but like others have said you aren't really playing deep unless your opponents also have alot of chips.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is I actually find it difficult to switch tables when they are kinda crappy, when I am playing 6+ tables it is hard to figure out which ones are crappy and to switch them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's a big part of the advice I'm looking for. If you are multi-tabling, how can you spot a crappy table?

About leaving the table when "it's -EV to stay": Wouldn't it be -EV to stay if you're the single big stack and the rest of the table is very short-stacked relative to you?

That feels like a situation where there's nowhere to go but down...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:39 PM

I switch tables when it gets down to three players or when the table turns into a rock garden. But usually when I play there is one or two really bad players that I focus on. So if they leave, then I immediatly leave right after them.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:41 PM

I play 12 tables at once at FT and it's hard to find a lot of good tables now. This might be stupid, but I actually look at the player's names at the table. If you see a name that LMAO Owned You that player is good. It's hard to explain. Basically, if a name is formatted nicely it normally means they're good players. An exmaple of a fish would be "michael26273". This isn't always correct, but I find it to be correct a ton. Also, search for a player's name at your table. If he's at 8 tables, he's most likely a solid player. You want to target 1 table players.

Also, don't win a big pot then run. It's cowardly.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I switch tables when it gets down to three players or when the table turns into a rock garden. But usually when I play there is one or two really bad players that I focus on. So if they leave, then I immediatly leave right after them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a lot of people saying this (leaving when the game gets short-handed), and I used to do it too. If the game gets short-handed and the players are all bad, STAY! I've been playing 3-4 handed a lot lately, and it's a goldmine when all you're playing against are 2-3 other fish. Stay until it's HU too if it's just you and a fish.